Chapter 1

'Well since my baby left me, I found a new place to dwell...' The sound of Elvis's voice echoed through the room. Oh Elvis. Elvis, Elvis, Elvis. What I would give to have seen that man in real life. My body swayed around the room as his voice sent chills down my spine. The way he sang, was like no other.

'Jane. Do you really need to play that old and out of date music that loud?' My roommate Joanna called out to me with pure exasperation. I knew she was sitting there rolling her eyes at me- she did it every time I played Elvis.

'Why as a matter of fact I do. Wanna know why? 1. Because it covers the annoying auto tuned music that our neighbours play- not to mention 'love yourself' on repeat. 2. Elvis. Is. Amazing. And 3? Because I like annoying you.' I remarked with a smirk.

Joanna sighed and walked into my room. Leaning on the door frame she asked 'You do realise he's dead right?'. This angered me. Just because he had passed, it doesn't mean he should be forgotten.

'That's it. I'm not going to stay here and listen to this. I've had this my entire life and I'm not putting up with it anymore. Why can't people just accept my music taste?!' I snapped. I grabbed my coat, phone and purse and stormed out of the room, ignoring Joanna's calls for me to come back.

I ran down the steps from my building and huffed with anger once I came to the pavement.

This judgement has been happening my entire life. Since I was 5 years old I've love Elvis. Jailhouse rock was my favourite song. My family though it was cute at that age. But it was when I got older that the teasing began.

Flashback
'Hey Jane. What're you listening to?' My best friend Joanna asked me.
'Erm, you know....Elvis. I'm listening to Elvis.' I replied.
'What the hell?!' Shouted Marley 'Jane you need to stop being such a loser and listen to music that is actually good. It's pathetic, let go of the past! You are a pathetic loser.'

Those words rang through my head as I went into my local cafe 'The cosy cafe'. I loved it here. It was so warm and homey and the owner was always so kind to me. She loved Elvis too.

'Morning Jane. The usual?' Shirley asked me.
'Yes please Shirl. I need it today.'

I took my coffee over to my usual booth. I sat down and smiled. One of my favourite songs was playing. It was 'Take on me' by Ah-Ha. It was such a classic.

My phone vibrated. It was Joanna. The text read:

Please come home Jane. I'm sorry I said those things. I can't help it, I just don't understand your love for his music.
Come home. X

I sighed and ignored the text. I know she means well, but it hurts to have her say things like that when she knows how I was teased in school.

I went to put my phone in my pocket but my eyes slid to something on the table in front of me. It wasn't there when I sat down. I looked around to see if there was anyone there could have placed the object in front of me. But I was the only one in the cafe.

What lay before me was a comic. Not your usual comic like Garfield that you find in the newspaper. It was a comic of Elvis Presley's life.

My eyes wandered in awe of the detailed drawings and perfectly placed captions. One picture however caught my eye. It was Elvis in 1960. Not in his army uniform but he still had his brown curly hair. His beautiful features were drawn to such accuracy it was almost as if he was staring into my soul. He was so handsome.

'I love you Elvis.' I whisper to the picture. It winked. Startled and gobsmacked I looked at the comic and blinked hard several times. I then stared at it for a good minute without blinking. No movement.

'Well that sums up wishful thinking for ya' I laughed to myself.

My laughing ceased when I looked back to the comic. My name had been written in a speech bubble. I blinked again. It was still there. I ran my finger along the lettering to make sure nothing was on there to make it look like my name. Nothing changed. But that wasn't it.

A speech bubble formed from his mouth as his lips moved. 'Come with me Jane'. A hand reached through the comic and out for my to take. Without thinking I moved my hand and enveloped it into his. Grabbing my phone with the other hand I was pulled into the comic. The last words I heard as I entered the comic were:

'I'll be gone, in a day'

🎙🎙🎙🎙🎙🎙🎙🎙🎙🎙🎙🎙🎙
So that's the first chapter up! Let me know what you think in the comments and please hit that star!
dalainarenee I want to mention you in this chapter because you always read my updates (when I actually do them!), you're a really great inspiration and a lovely person who writes amazing books X