s i x

Joey's POV

As soon as the words exit my mouth, I regret it. Why did I say it so bluntly? Why didn't I just explain my illness to the now confused boy? I'm such an idiot. Why did I do this to myself?

"W-What do you mean?" Daniel asks, his usual confident manner disappearing.

"I'm sorry, please allow me to explain!" I exclaim frantically, and he places a hand on my shoulder.

"Of course, sweetie. Go ahead." he says sweetly and flashes me a smile.

"Well, a few years back, I was diagnosed with cancer. It's recently returned, worse than ever, and the doctor said I only have thirty days to live..." I trail off, feeling tears prick my eyes.

Daniel immediately envelopes me in a hug. His left arm is wrapped tightly around my body as his right hand runs through my hair in a calming manned. I nuzzle my head into his neck and allow tears to spill over. In the short amount of time I've known Daniel, I've discovered he's the type of person you can simply cry in front of. He's a very comforting and nonjudgmental person, which is exactly what I need in this moment.

"It's going to be okay, dearium." he whispers in my ear calmly while running his hand along my back gently. I nod and continue to sob into his shoulder.

"Thank you," I state, pulling away from Daniel, "I really needed that hug right there."

Daniel smiles sympathetically, wiping the tears from my cheeks with his thumb.

"You can always come to me, okay? Always. No matter what time of day, I'm just next door. Knock on my door at three A.M for all I care. Never feel like you need to feel this way, you don't." he whispers sternly, yet a soft expression covers his face. I nod, smiling and allowing a stray tear to roll down my cheek.

"This is going to be the best month of your life, okay?" Daniel says, and I nod. "I'll make sure of it."

(a/n: *casually sits in corner and strokes my cat whole staring off into the void*)