Chapter VI

SUMMARY: Betrayed by his latest master and mocked by the cruel hand of destiny, Sir Guy of Gisborne returns to Nottingham twenty years after his banishment determined to reclaim the life which should have been his.

AUTHOR: Lexie aka lillianschild

RATING: PG-13/R (probably in later chapters)

FANDOM: Robin Hood

PAIRING: Guy/Marian

GENRE: Romance

Disclaimer: Tiger Aspect Productions and the BBC are free to claim whatever they own of this piece, except Guy's thoughts and my words which are ours to keep. lol.

A/N: Set in an alternate Series 1 where Guy has never met Vasey before his arrival in Nottingham, this fic will explore what impact an earlier acquaintance with Marian might have had on Guy's life and ultimate fate.

CHAPTER VI

You must be strong. Close your eyes and think yourself elsewhere. Think of Sherwood and riding carefree in the woods, where once upon a time your cheeks blushed and your heartbeat quickened with a couple of chaste kisses robbed by the boy who you dreamt would be your husband one day.

How different were these plundering lips, which looked only to gratify their owner, from the warm and electrifying brush of another pair which last night sought to worship rather than steal or dominate.

Marian hated being out of her depth and found herself praying Winchester couldn't see through her inexperience to discover the feelings of revulsion and impotence that were barely contained. As little patience as she had with courtly games, she preferred them to this forceful submission which did nothing but rob her of her sense of dignity and dreams of independence.

“Just breathe deeply and don't do anything that might make him doubt your sincerity,” she told herself the moment she felt one of his hands leave her waist and stray to trace curves which had remained uncharted territory for twenty-one years.

“My Lord, I've appreciated your patience so far. Please, don't spoil things by trying to seize now what I pledged to gift you with on our wedding night!” she cried, grabbing his roving hand.

“Don't be coy, Marian. I've waited long enough for my reward,” he glared, tightening his hold on her.

“You only have to name the day you'd have me for your wife and it'll be yours for the taking,” she smiled, putting on an appearance of happiness for the sake of her family's safety.

“I wish it could be today, but it'd be too short a notice for those who have to travel far to share in our joy on such an important day,” he replied visibly appeased.

“Provided you allow me a fortnight to make all the preparations necessary to entertain our guests as befits their station and yours, I'll leave that decision in your hands,” she replied, trying not to think that a fortnight was how long it'd take Sir Guy to be healed enough to leave.

“I trust your well-honed abilities as a hostess, my lady. I'll give you a list of my guests so that you can start issuing the invitations. As soon as their replies come in, I'll make the formal announcement.”

The fact that she could influence her husband-to-be wasn't enough to lift her spirit. This bleak despair she found herself in was a burden to be borne alone; both Sir Edward and Meg should believe her as content with her choice as Lord Winchester.

“I can't wait to make you mine,” he murmured, pulling her to him and kissing her once again without any trace of tenderness or even lust. She was just someone else to dominate.