Chapter 8

Friday came with blinding speed and before I could say my name, it was time for Capture the Flag.
Everyone was talking and laughing except for me. I sat alone at my table picking at my food.

The previous night's dream really unsettled me.

Also early this morning I heard Annabeth telling someone how she wished she could see Percy so she could thank him for leaving. She said Percy was her worst mistake. It took every fibre of my will to stop me from confronting her.

"Silas, you there?"

I glanced up to see a boy looking at me.

"Who are you?"

He smiled. "Jon."

I nodded, "Jon who?"

He held out his hand to me. I ignored the gesture
"Jon Whiteley."

"Can I help you with something, Jon Whiteley?"

He looked back at one of the tables where all of the kids were watching us. They nodded to him.

"I...uh...I..."

"Why don't you just go before you do something stupid, huh?" I spat out the words.

Jon mumbled something. I raised my brows but he decided against it and quickly went back to the table packed with disappointed faces.

All around me children were enjoying themselves and laughing. I was also laughing for Bron had accidently spilled my food onto the ground.

"You silly wolf!" I laughed.

I was about to give him a slight punch when a spoon hit me behind the head. I know, you're thinking why didn't I catch it. Well, I was busy with Bron. I jumped onto my feet and whirled in the direction the spoon came from.

"Who hit me?"

I whispered yet everyone could hear me. In the coner someone laughed.

I turned to Demetri who stood proudly with his hands on his hips.

"You think you're so funny, boy?"

I unseathed both my swords and pointed one of them to him. He smile didn't fade away.

"Change of plans, kids," I spat, "instead of playing Capture the Flag, I challenge Demetri son of Poseidon to a deul."

Silence filled the mess hall as my words faded. Chiron tried to object but Demetri cut him off. A smile danced on my lips...he's going down.

"I accept, Silas. Let's settle this once and for all. To the river banks!" He proclaimed and marched forward.

It seems that the camp had changed during the years. Much of the surrounding forest had to make way for new cabins. Thus almost no trees stood near the river anymore. A massive Poseidon cabin stood on the banks.

The campers formed a circle around us. Bron stood to one side. He was not to be part of this fight.

"If you yield now no one will think less of you, Silas. I mean...no one thinks anyting of you anyway!" Demetri burst out laughing. No one joined him. They could feel the anger rolling off me.

I seathed one of my swords. No need to waste a good sword on such a weakling.

Chiron stepped between us. He look very very concerned. His eyes begged me to stop this.

"Although I do not agree with this duel it seems I have no say over the matter. So, here are the rules. No powers allowed. No killing allowed. Minor wounds are permitted. Fight fair. Fight honourably."

He stepped out of the way and we faced each other. It was quite clear from his stance that Demetri was a remarkable swordsman. A darkness shone in his eyes.

Suddenly he jumped forward. His blade flashed above my head as I bent back to avoid his weapon. The crowd cheered. I took a few steps back and waited for him to attack again. Our swords kissed in the air. We danced around each other. I was mostly only entertaining him. Giving him the idea that he had the upper hand in this fight. The campers went crazy. I did a flip over his head, twisted mid-air kicked him in the back, did a flip with the new momentum and landed on my feet. Demetri stumbled to one knee but quickly regained his composure. A fire burned in his green eyes. He attacked me with new found aggression.

This was what I wanted. I wanted him mad.

Every blow he delivered I threw off as if it was nothing. It wasn't long before I stood in front of a panting Demetri.

Now it wae my time to shine.

I struck at his left side. He parried. I sweeped at his feet. He jumped. I stabbed forward. He lifted his sword to ward my blow off but I already anticipated this. Instead I quickly stepped right and brought the pommel of my sword down on his head.

The cheering died. Demetri looked at me with unfocused eyes. He dropped his sword and then he too dropped.

I seathed my sword swiftly. My eyes traveled over the campers. They lingered on the people I once called friends. None of them looked impressed.

"I'm here to win you a war. If you want to act like children come see me. I'm not scared to make a man out of you."

I turned on my heel and headed for my tent with Bron at my side.
Silence remained amongst the campers.