Chapter 2

To say that Durga Prasad was taken aback, was putting it mildly. But years of practice helped him pull on his mask more quickly before his family or the other board members realized. The last time he had laid his eyes on the man, sitting in front of him right now, he was merely a boy. He was the smart, hardworking but loyal prodigy that he himself was grooming. Today, the man sitting before him, resembled the boy only physically, to some extent, but there was an edge in his man that made him narrow his eyes and try to delve deeper into who he was facing.

"Mr Maheshwari, sir" Mr Mehra said addressing Sanskar, "I have just been told by Mr Durga Prasad Maheshwari that he along with his family and the remaining board members, hold 51% stake making them the majority owners. He has offered to buy the stake owned by Vincere"

Sanskar looked at Mr Mehra, before turning to Durga Prasad with a confident smile "But that isn't accurate, is it?" He stated rather than asked, directing the comment to Durga Prasad. He leaned back in his chair comfortably, his elbows resting on the chair-arms, his fingers pressed against each other as he spoke "Vincere owns 49% stake in Maheshwari Industries. Combining that with the 5% stake that I own personally, it equates to a 54% stake in the company. I would presume that would be a majority stake, wouldn't you?"

Durga Prasad remained quite, his expression unchanged, evaluating this new opponent who was once on his side.

One of the board members, Mr Jain, cut in at this time, unable to hold back his curiosity "Sanskar, where have you been all these years? You went missing for so long and now you are back taking over the company?"

"I have been away trying to make my own mark, Mr Jain" he said with a comfortable smile and calm tone "I have been following Bade Papa's advice in this. I am after all his prodigy; someone he has been grooming to take over the business ultimately. I have been trying to prove worthy of the position. Bade Papa had asked me to prove to him I was ready by taking majority ownership in the company, on my own. Isn't that true Bade Papa?" Sanskar said with a mocking smile, challenging Durga Prasad to counter him, knowing fully well that Durga Prasad wouldn't be willing to bring out family skeletons in the public.

As he had expected, Durga Prasad gave a tight smile but didn't counter him. But his youngest son, Laksh, wasn't as rational or cool headed. "Sanskar!" He roared, ready for some verbal and if possible physical fight with his cousin. But Durga Prasad stopped him "Laksh. Sit down" he said firmly, ending any further conflicts.

"So what does this mean? Would Sanskar be taking over Maheshwari Industries now?" another board member asked, directing the question to Durga Prasad.

But Sanskar replied even before Durga Prasad could "Of course not. This was merely to prove I am ready. Not to actually take over. Bade Papa will continue in his position. Isn't that right Bade Papa?". Durga Prasad gave another tight smile

His prodigy had started a new game, against his own teacher. Durga Prasad, smiled in his mind, he would observe what his prodigy was up to. Sanskar was smart, he had to give it him, Durga Prasad had trained him well. But the prodigy sometimes forgets that the teacher doesn't always share all his secrets with the student. He always sets some aside for precisely such times when the student starts thinking he knows best. And then then the teacher hits back and really shows the prodigy who the true guru is.

"So what do you plan to do?" the same board member asked

"I plan to improve the business. There are things we are doing wrong, that I want to correct. Like we buy all our raw materials from China and pay them in dollars. But we sell everything in Europe and get paid in Euros. With the current fluctuations in the currencies, we are exposing ourselves to currency losses that can be easily avoided"