Chapter 10

Maddy's POV:

Midday happened hours ago and a cool breeze fluttered past. Being in the air was easier now that I knew I could trust the balloon to hold together.

"Pretty clouds." Sokka observed, breaking the calm silence surrounding us. I could tell that he wasn't entirely comfortable being with Zuko let alone talking to him, but this would be good for them. They would have to at least talk to each other on this trip and maybe Sokka would be a little more trusting with Zuko. All that was left was to get Katara on board the 'Trusting Zuko' boat.

"Yeah, fluffy." Zuko agreed.

This was going no where.

Sokka started to whistle for the sole purpose of making some noise.

"What?" Zuko asked.

"What? Oh, I didn't say anything." Sokka went quiet again and searched for a new topic. "You know, a friend of mine actually designed these war balloons."
"No kidding."
"Yep. A balloon. But for War."

While conversation was not one of their strong suits, the ability to create awkwardness was at the top of their list of talents.
"There's one thing my Dad's good at," Zuko refueled the balloon. "it's War."
"Yeah, it seems to run in the family." Sokka said, not thinking of present company.

"Hey, hold on. Not everyone in my family is like that." Zuko defended.
"I know, I know, you've changed."
"I meant my Uncle. He was more of a father to me. And I really let him down." Zuko explained, a troubled and sad look on his face. Sokka noticed and his mood quickly turned empathetic..
"I think your Uncle would be proud of you. Leaving your home to come help us, that's hard."
Zuko side glanced at me. "It wasn't that hard." he mumbled.
"Really? You didn't leave behind anyone you cared about?" Sokka asked. My chest tightened as I thought about it.

"Coocoo sister. Annoying attendants. His girlfriend." I rolled my eyes.
"Mai wasn't my girlfriend."
"That gloomy girl who sighs a lot?" Sokka asked, surprised. I snickered at his perfect description.
"Yeah." Zuko half smirked. "Everyone in the Fire Nation thinks I'm a traitor. She wasn't my girlfriend, but I still couldn't drag her into it."

"My first girlfriend married some Northern Water tribe warrior. Not the jerk she was gonna marry before, some other guy. It's okay I guess, she's happy and all."

"That's rough buddy."

"Ya, and your first girlfriend turned into the moon." Sokka laughed.

"I came back though! It wasn't for that long." I defended.
"Hm." Was all Zuko said as he stared over the edge of the basket.

We sat in silence rest of the trip. Every once in awhile I would throw balls of air at Sokka just to scare the hell out of him.

"Oh damn!" I exclaimed, remembering something.

"What?" Zuko asked.

"I didn't bring anything. I literally forgot everything back at the temple." I groaned and fell back against the basket. "My staff. My bag." I shoved my wild hair out of my face. "My hair tie."

"Don't worry about it. Where we're going, your staff would only draw attention."

"Um, where are we going?" I asked. "I mean, I know we're going after Hakota and all, but where is he exactly?"

"The Boiling Rock."

No.

No way.

The balloon started to rise rapidly. Zuko turned and opened the tank only to be blow back by the extreme flames within. "What the-?!" He started trying to calm the fire, but to no avail.

Death by Lightning  (OC x Zuko) book 3On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara