Chapter 5

LEO

I burst into the Poseidon cabin and saw Theresa sitting on the floor, crying. Her head and buried in her knees.

"Theresa what's wrong?" Annabeth asked and crouched down beside her. Theresa didn't raise her head, and she kept crying.

"Shh... It's ok." Annabeth said and put her arm around her shoulder. After a few minutes, Theresa calmed down.

"Ok, now can you tell us why you were crying?" I asked softly, slightly afraid that she would burst into tears again. She wiped her eyes with her sleeve and took a deep breath.

"The... the hospital called me. My mom was out driving last night... And she got into a crash. She... She didn't make it." Percy, Annabeth and I exchanged looks.

"I'm so sorry." Percy said. Theresa took another breath and closed her eyes for a moment.

"Thanks." She said quietly. I didn't say anything. I knew how she felt. When I was only nine, my mom died. I was by myself for as long as I could remember.

"Do you want some time alone?" Annabeth asked. Theresa nodded. Annabeth stood up and the three of us started to walk out of the cabin.

"Wait." Theresa said just as I took a step out of the cabin. "Leo, will you stay?" Percy gave me a look, but I walked back to Theresa and sat beside her. Right as Percy and Annabeth left, tears started to stream down her cheeks again.

"Hey," I said. "It's going to be ok." Before I could do anything else, Theresa put her head on my chest. I awkwardly put my arms around her and patted her back.

"Shh..." I whispered. "First you need to stop crying." She lifted up her head and opened her eyes. She wiped her tears with the sleeve of her sweatshirt. She gripped my hand.

"Better?" I asked. She nodded.

"Thanks." She whispered. I smiled and squeezed her hand.

"It's going to be alright. Ok?" I said. She looked at me.

"Ok." She said after a long silence.

"Do you want to be alone?" I asked. She shook her head.

"I'm fine." She said quietly. I helped her up and I started to walk out of the cabin.

"Um, Leo?" I turned back to her. She walked up to me and hugged me. Without hesitation, I hugged her back.

THERESA

I had to do it. I had to before he left.

"Um, Leo?" I said. He turned around and faced me. I forced myself to move towards him, and I wrapped my arms around his neck. I rested my chin on his shoulder. For a few seconds, he didn't do anything, but then I felt two arms wrap around my waist. I smiled and a warm feeling spread through my body. I pulled away.

"Thanks." I said again. Leo didn't answer. He just smiled and put his hand on my back.

"Come on. Lets find Percy." We walked out of my cabin together. Before I could do anything, I was attacked my an elephant. Wait- no not an elephant... A very large person. The only thing I could see was flannel and yellow and black polka-dots. I heard Percy laughing.

"Ok, big guy. Don't kill her." The elephant-person thing jumped away from me, and I stumbled back. I fell into someone's arms- Leo.

"You ok?" Leo asked and chuckled. I nodded and put my hand to my forehead. My vision was coming back. I saw Percy standing in front of me, and beside him was a big, tall guy with a rat's nest for hair and big brown eyes. Wait- let me correct that. A big brown eye. The dude had one eye. I started to scream, but I put my hand over my mouth. The cyclops frowned and looked down.