Secrets

"Ollie why are you packing?" I ask my big brother. "If you're moving in with Laurel you're going to need more than a suitcase."

"Dad's taking out the gambit," he replies sounding annoyed.

"And I'm guessing you invited yourself."

"It says 'Queen's Gambit' and I am a Queen."

"Great. I'll start packing!"

"You're not going," there's a bit of worry in Ollie's voice.

"Why not?"

"Then Thea will want to come too and I just wanted it to be a me and dad thing," he lies.

"You are a terrible liar. I hope you never have to lie for a living. Don't ever become a politician," I suggest.

"Emily!"

"Thea doesn't have to know!"

"She'll kill us when we get back," Oliver caves. It's not like he really had much room to talk.

"So will Laurel when she finds out about Sarah."

Oliver whips around, "How do you know--"

"Chill! I won't tell! I don't want my head ripped off! I heard you talking to mom."

"Snoopy much?"

"I hate secrets. And this house is full of them."

"Emy we've been over this. Mom isn't hiding anything."

"You're just too mama's boy to see it. Anyway I should get packing if I don't want to miss the boat."

"You do that," replies Oliver through gritted teeth.

I've always known everyone had secrets. I've never been able to crack the code, but I know mom and dad hide things. Big things, and I'm going to find out what they are. Starting with the real reason dad's taking out the Queen's Gambit.