Jump Then Fall

Jump Then Fall

     One after the other, the waves crashed against our bare feet. The air was cold and the hair on our arms stood but we stayed at the dock, watching the sea.

     Jessie bit her lip anxiously, obviously disappointed at how Kyle was such a bat when it came to her feelings for him. She glanced up at the night sky and watched as the stars shone pathetically against the darkness.

     "This is boring," Jessie whined, breaking the silence. She kicked the water beneath her, sending splashes towards me. "I want to do something fun. How about we get drunk like in the movies? I hear Vodka's good."

     I had to urge to tell her that we were underaged to drink but I decided not to disturb her train of thoughts and just kept silent.

     "But if this was a movie he'd be here by now," Jessie sighed to herself, lifting her legs from the waters and wrapping her arms around her knees. "I'm bored, this is no fun. Let's do something exciting!"

     I thought for a while, staring at the sea below me before an idea popped into my head.

     "How about we go for a dip in the waters?" I suggested, dipping my hands into the cold water and splashing it onto Jessie.

     "No, that's just plain crazy and stop it! I'm getting wet!" Jessie squealed, shielding herself from the cold water with her hands. "Elliot, stop! I'm freezing!"

     "I'll stop if you agree to go for a dip with me," I reasoned out.

     "Because dipping inside dangerous sea waters with the possibility of sharks lurking below us sounds like a really good idea," she scoffed sarcastically. I replied by splashing more water onto her until she resembled a cat that got caught in the storm. "Elliot, you idiot! I command you to stop!"

     "Only if you say yes," I said in a sing-song voice.

     Jessie pouted, trying to persuade me to change my mind by giving me her puppy-like expression.

     "I’m not going to fall for it again, Jessie," I told her. I fell for it just this evening and that resulted in me treating her to, not one but, three tubs of ice cream.

     She puffed out a breath of cold air and crossed her arms over her chest childishly in defeat. She closed her eyes, feeling the cold, salty water hit her.

     "All right, all right, yes! Stop it, already!" she wailed, lifting her arms up to shield herself from the water that was splashed at her. Once I stopped, she opened one eye to see if I would splash anymore water on her. When I didn't, she put her arms down and examined her wet clothing. "Since I'm wet, thanks to a certain someone, I might as well take a dip."

     "That's the spirit!" I smiled before getting up and standing at the edge of the dock. Jessie mimicked my actions.

     "Ready?" I asked.

     "Hold on, Lee," Jessie mumbled, peering into the water below. It was dark so it was impossible to see what was swimming beneath. The only thing we could see was the distorted reflection of ourselves and the moonlight against the choppy waters. "I'm scared."

     "Okay, I'll go first and if I'm still alive, you jump and I'll catch you," I told her. "I promise. I'm good at catching things. I caught a Pokemon before so this should be a piece of cake."

     She nodded hesitantly. "I just hope they're hard to catch."

     "You won't believe how long I took to catch all the Pokemon," I told her. She gulped uncomfortably and glanced at me. I could feel her eyes on me, as if she was waiting for me to lead the way. “Take care, Lee. If you die, just remember this was all your idea.”