Chapter 9: Phoenix

Josh Duhamel is Ace.

In light of a new army character, I want to thank every single person who has fought for our country and will fight for our country. Nothing but gratitude and respect for all of you.

Thank you for reading and enjoy the chapter (:

Phoenix's Pov:
Maybe I was just being optimistic but I think it was official, Scarlett was the perfect woman for me. I have thought about it for days and I couldn't find a flaw. I couldn't find one thing in personality or appearance that I didn't like.

We talked for hours, we laughed, and learned new things about each other. It was nice, it had been a long time since I was able to just be myself and have a normal conversation. We refrained from talking too much in depth on our past lives and I was grateful, I didn't want to talk about me yet. I just wanted to know about her.

She talked with so much passion and love for her drawings and art. Part of me wanted to talk some sense into her mother for taking away something she obviously loved. I glanced at the drawings on her wall throughout the conversation and was astounded by her talent. I was impressed she kept the skill even after her mother took it from her.

While talking to her, I realized that while she had a mother who sounded like she needed an intervention, she still had a father who loved her unconditionally and an older brother who would drop everything to come to her rescue if she needed. She was bitter when her mother came up, but I could sense the love behind all of the resentment.

She had years of her life that were obviously tough. Years of school with no friends and a home life where she would never be good enough in her mom's eyes. She was robbed of a social life and was forced into situations she didn't want. In a way, she was broken like I was, just in different ways.

I only have one friend from high school Ace, my best friend since we were three. Words cannot express how much I missed him. His father was in the army when Ace was a baby, unfortunately he was killed in battle. Ace felt like he owed his father and his country. He joined right out of high school and I had only seen him once since then. We wrote and occasionally were able to video chat but it wasn't the same as being able to talk to him in person.

I was pissed off when he told me he was leaving, but I understood his reasoning. That still didn't stop me from dreading the day we would all get that call that he wasn't coming home. He knew everything about me, Ace and Damon are the only living souls who know the story.

My past would come back to haunt me just like it always did. In reality, Scarlett was too good for me. What would she think when she found out what happened? When she found out how broken I am? The things I've done? The weakness hidden deep inside of me?

What if she thought I wasn't worth the trouble? I have handled rejection before, but I don't know if I could handle hers.

I've decided not to tell her yet, while that may be selfish on my part, I wanted time with her. I wanted time for her to get to know me for me. I won't lie to her if she asks, but I won't tell her until I'm ready to face the possible consequences.

She went to dinner with her brother and I went to leave. I could see the look of sadness of her face when she thought of her brother leaving. She spoke of him like I spoke about Ace.

I walked into my quiet apartment and chucked my keys onto the island. I made myself something to eat and sat down to watch a few episodes of Game of Thrones. As I sat down to watch, my eyes on the screen, I wasn't fully retaining anything I saw. My eyes were slowly beginning to get heavy against my will.