Chapter 4

Once everyone settled into their seats, we began grabbing food off of the gold platters resting in front of us.  As I was reaching for a piece of French bread, James reached over just in time for his hand to brush against my hand.  That was SO on purpose! 

"So, James, why have you decided to move here?" my mother questioned, peeking over at James.

"Well, I recently got a position at the local art shop to teach people how to paint, watercolor, and other things like that," he replied smoothly.

"Oh! How nice!  You know, Neveah sometimes stops by there.  She's an excellent artist.  And not just in drawing, painting, etc., she's also an amazing performer," my mother enthusiastically exclaims.  Why must she do this to me!

"Oh really?  She should perform for us after dinner," James says, shooting a sly smirk my way.  I cleared my throat and swiftly exclaimed,"Oh, no!  There's no need for that!  I truly sound like a dying horse, and I'd rather not make a fool out of myself."  I end my little rant with a nervous chuckle and continue eating.

"Nonsense!  You were the best singer in your elementary choir!" my dad retorts.  Shoot, I'm not getting out of this one, am I?

"Well, uh, um...," I stuttered, trying to quickly think of an excuse, but came up empty handed. "*sigh* Fine."

"Great! She shall perform after dinner!" my mom squealed, sounding like a highschool girl.

Everyone finished eating, although they seemed to eat at a slightly quicker pace.  Which, sadly for me, meant I had to perform now.  Once all the plates were cleared and put in the kitchen, our group headed out to the family room, where our black grand piano sat.  The Reveras took a seat with my parents, who gave me encouraging looks.  I slowly made my way to the piano, and sat down smoothing out my skirt.  I then began singing Video Games by Lana Del Ray.

"Swinging in the backyard

Pull up in your fast car

Whistling my name,

Open up a beer

And you say get over here

And play a video game,

I'm in his favorite sundress

Watching me get undressed

Take that body downtown,

I say you the bestest

Lean in for a big kiss

Put his favorite perfume on,

Go play your video games,"

After finishing the last note on the piano, I stand up and do a little curtsy before walking over to a sofa across from everyone.  Looking up, everyone begins to applaud for me.  I blush and mumble a quiet thank you.

"Dear, that was amazing," Mrs. Revera proclaims.  I just nod my head in acknowledgement.

"Oh Neveah, you musn't be so shy around us," Mr. Revera tells me, leaning forward a bit.

"Of course, Mr. Revera," I reply.  My parents then begin talking to the Reveras, while my sister and I excuse ourselves to our rooms.  After leaving the family room, I trudge over to the staircase, exhausted.  I'm about to go upstairs after my sister, when something gently grabs my hand.  I turn around and come face to face with James, who I realize is the one who grabbed my hand.

"You have a gorgeous voice, Neveah," he states quietly, taking my other hand in his own.  I begin shuffling my feet around, feeling nervous with his close proximity.  I'm about to say a thank you and wish him goodnight when he releases my hand and takes my chin, tilting it upward softly.  He stares deeply into my eyes, so intense I feel that I might collapse, but James wraps an arm subtly around my waist, keeping me in place.

"So beautiful," he whispers, making butterflies erupt in my stomach.  I just about stop breathing right there on the spot.  And that's when I notice him softly leaning in, realizing that he's about to kiss me.  I'm about to absolutely flip out when we both hear his parents telling my parents farewell while walking down the hallway.  He gently releases me, almost as if he doesn't want to, then steps back a few spaces.  The Reveras then enter with my parents tagging along behind like lapdogs following their owners.  My mom just about looks like one, with her eyes twinkling in excitement from making new friends.

"Hurry up James, we have to get your siblings to bed," Mrs. Revera tells James, patting his shoulder.  Mr. and Mrs. Revera both shoot me kind smiles and softly wish me goodbye, telling me how great it was to meet my sister and I.  Once his parents are distracted with my parents, once again saying goodbye, James steps over to me, taking my hand once again.

"I hope to see you soon, Neveah," he states, kissing my hand and shooting me a quick wink, then walking out the door with his parents.  The second I hear their car start, I'm flying up the stairs to my room.  Once I'm in, I lock the door and collapse against it, my mind reeling.  Does he really like me?  I've never had a boy like me before!  I'm so elated that I almost float over to my bed after putting on my pajamas, dancing around a little bit, humming a sweet tune.

"What are you so dreamy about," I hear someone say, causing me to turn around and let out a little squeak when I see Cora leaning against the wall across from me, a knowing smirk on her face.

"Was it that hottie downstairs?" she questions, lifting her eyebrows in a suggestive way.

"Cora!  It's not like that!" I quickly tell her, walking over to my bed and climbing in before sitting up again to put my hair in a new braid.

"Oh really! Because I saw him ogling you while you were singing," she pushes on, making me, once again, blush.

"Wait, where were you?  I didn't see you," I claim with a suspicious look on my face.

"I peeked in through the window," she shrugs, as if stalking people through windows was completely normal.

"Stalker much," I mutter, resulting with a pillow flying in my face.

"Ow! What the hell, Cara!" I mutter, massaging my nose.  The pillow hit me straight in my eye, too.

I glance up, only to see that she's gone.  Oh, I'm gonna get her!

Hey guys!  Sorry for the short chapter, but I'll be updating soon to make up for it.  So what do you think is going to happen with Neveah and James?  Comment and vote!  Bye guys!