Fifteenth Kiss

With my mind set to get rid of falling in love for good and having Rick training me, it took us less than a month and we were at our deadline before Damien tests me.

"You did it wrong again, Sophia." Rick groaned as I overburned the chocolate.

"S-sorry!!" I apologize and prepared to make another batch. "Combine butter and..." As I grabbed another ingredient, my arm touched against the burning pot I used earlier and left a scorching burn scar near my elbow. I screamed at the top of my lungs and clutched my arm where it burned.

"Here Sophia." Rick placed an ice bag to cool down the burn. I tried to hold back my tears and bit my lower lip to prevent bawling again. I mustn't show my weak side again in front of Rick. I told myself I will never ask from him from now on. I held onto the ice bag and moved away from him. "Let's take a break for now until your arm heals. I'll order pizza for lunch. What do you want?"

"Meatballs with ricotta on mine!" I answered delighted. Shoot I broke my promise!! "On second thought.... anything you want, Rick." Rick chuckled and opened the app on his phone.

"Meatball with ricotta for you and supreme for me." he verified my choices. Darn it.

"I'll pay you back, Rick." I said as I went to get my wallet from my backpack.

"You don't have to, Sophia."

"But I want to. You did enough for me."

Ever since I found out my parents no longer see me as their daughter, I chose to stay away from my family and stayed with Rick for the past few weeks. Penny and Chris were told ahead and they'd come over to bring me clothes and assignments. I also had to ask Chris if I there was any available jobs where she works part time so I can help pay for the bills. No luck but at least I have some earnings from my art prints and finished series.

I lay down on the sofa while we wait for our food to arrive. Rick starts putting the dirty dishes to the sink and prepared to clean the kitchen. I observed him quietly as we made eye contact.

"What?" he broke the silence.

"Nothing... I don't see you as the type who lives a luxurious life compared to all the others I've met."

"You make it sound like the rich people are considered greedy bastards."

"Well... technically isn't that somewhat true?"

"You have a point... but that's towards my family." He chuckled softly. "Juliet was the one who taught me even though we have the riches, we can still live a normal life just like everyone else. Only difference is we have the title to protect and keep."

"You mean you can't do anything reckless or have paparazzis snoop around your home and family?"

"Correct." Rick finished cleaning the kitchen and took a water bottle out of the fridge. "Thankfully I'm considered 'missing' and changed my last name to continue studying and searching for Juliet."

"Does Damien know?" I interrupted him. "Does he know you love his soon to be wife?"

Rick stayed hushed avoiding my question. "Does it really matter if he knows or not? Whether or not we find her in the end, she'll still choose him as her husband. I'm just a brother to her and nothing more."

"Rick..." I couldn't think of another word to say to him. Eight years he's kept his feelings hidden from his family. This must have made him more distraught. And Damien is the only one who trusts him and believes he can find Juliet. Whereas for me... I have no family to rely on. Especially after my brother confronted me and he looked up to me as a role model. I'm such an idiot.