Act 1: When the Day Met the Night

Song: When the Day Met the Night by Panic! At the Disco

****************

Castiel has always loved acting, especially the theatre. The extravagant costumes, the exhilarating music, the heartfelt story being portrayed. He wouldn't live his life any other way than on the stage. So when he saw that the Eden Theatre was taking auditions for the new play they were doing, Castiel couldn't refuse.

Only once he had gone inside and impulsively signed his name down on the list, taking a script for the lines that he would recite in his eventual audition did he realize that he signed up for one of the most clichéd romance stories of all time, Romeo and Juliet. Castiel groaned as he walked out of the theatre, looking through the lines of Shakespearean dialect. He had nothing against Shakespeare, it was just that the story was so heavily fraught with a quick romance that he couldn't take it.

Of course, the fact that he was gay may have altered his thoughts about the story. For him, he would hypothetically have to go through a whole process of discovering whether the guy he was in love with actually swung that way. Castiel couldn't see anyone falling in love in a span of a couple hours.

Nevertheless, he wasn't planning to pass up a perfectly good play. While he may not love the story, the acting would definitely make up for it. While he was walking on the sidewalk, however, he didn't realize that someone was walking in his direction until the two bumped into each other, sending pages flying onto the warming concrete. It was then that Castiel looked up and was met with bright green eyes, the golden sunlight reflected in them.

"I-I'm so sorry," he stuttered, stooping down to pick up the pages. The boy he bumped into bent down as well, a large grin on his face.

"That's alright, I wasn't paying attention either," he said, picking up some of the pages. He glanced at the type on one of them, and his eyes immediately lit up. "I'm going to audition for this too! I actually dropped some of my script also."

Castiel smiled at him warmly and thanked him for the help as he took some of the pages from his hands. "That's great," he murmured, running his hands through his hair, a nervous tick of his. As he looked back up at the boy, he noticed the freckles dotted across his tan skin. He suddenly remembered himself, and stuck out his hand. "Castiel."

The boy grinned widely at him, the corner of his eyes crinkling. He took his hand, enveloping Castiel's hand perfectly. "Dean." He tried to ignore the electric feeling coursing through his veins as he held his hand, but the moment passed but as quickly as it came.

Castiel folded his hands in front of himself politely, the pages still clasped between them. "So... What day did you sign up for the audition?"

He casually shoved his hands into his pockets, the sun hitting his figure to make his skin seem tanner than it actually was. "Saturday. You?"

"O-Oh," said Castiel, his breath hitching when he realized that he would be seeing Dean again, at the audition. "I'm doing it that same day as well."

Dean's lips parted as he glanced down at the ground, adjusting the papers in his hand. He looked back up at Castiel, with a sincere, soft smile on his face. "Then it looks like I'll be seeing you again on Saturday."

Castiel blinked, unsure of what else to say. He hadn't even known Dean for a couple minutes and he was already stumbling over words around him. "Yeah. Of course. Definitely." Maybe Dean would just assume it was part of his personality to be shy and awkward.

Yet he seemed like nothing had happened. His smile was still outshining the sun. "I'll see you on Saturday, Cas."

He nodded, nearly stumbling over his own feet. Dean clapped him on the back as he walked in the opposite direction, away from him. Castiel still had the papers clutched in his hand right as he realized that Dean had called him by a nickname many of his friends called him. Just as he was about to walk off, Dean turned back around.

"It's alright if I call you Cas, right?" Dean questioned, casually pulling a black pen out of the back pocket of his jeans. Castiel nodded in reply, but he suddenly took a sheet of Castiel's script and scribbled something down. "Bye, Cas," he finally said, capping the pen again and sliding it back into his pocket as he walked off with his own script. Castiel glanced down at what he had written, and he realized with a blush that it was his number.

Well, this would certainly be a play that he wouldn't soon forget.