Act 5: A Time For Us

Song: A Time For Us, Love Theme from the 1968 movie, Romeo and Juliet

****************

The night of the play had finally come, and everyone was rushing around backstage making sure that all was in order. Castiel was in his dressing room, looking into the mirror mounted on the wall and adjusting the tight purple clothes he was wearing. While he hated the tightness of the pants and shirt, he liked the rich purple and the golden flowing cape attached to the shirt. He could have passed as 13th century royalty.

But his inner thoughts still lingered on the day before. Dean had talked to him afterwards, but he was a lot more distant than the usual warm self he was. It was as if he suddenly changed.

Now was not the time to think those things, though. He had to focus on the play and on Mercutio, not focus on Romeo or the actor playing him. It was a lost cause, anyways. It would be a miracle if he and Dean were to go back to the way it used to be, let alone have him realize that he cared about him more than just a good friend. Just as he thought that, he heard a knock on the already-open door. Castiel turned around and was met with familiar green eyes, but they weren't glowing as they used to around him.

Dean was adorned in a similar costume to Castiel's, except it was a navy blue and had no cape. He was casually leaning on the door, his hands shoved into his pockets. The clothes were tight on him as well, but they defined his body well and Castiel forced himself not to look.

"What is it?" Castiel asked, and he hated how distant his voice sounded. They were talking as best friends merely a day ago. Why did they have to ruin it all?

Dean looked as if he wanted to say something, but then shook his head and brought his gaze to the floor. "I... Uhm, Charlie wants us all backstage in a couple minutes."

Castiel nodded gently, looking at himself in the mirror. Dean was still standing in the doorway, as if about to say something else. "Is that all?"

He heard a sigh coming from him. "Cas, I'm so sorry about yesterday. I... I don't know what got into me."

He could have started an argument. He could have shouted at him until he was satisfied. He could have told him that he truly did feel things for him, and that a simple acting mistake wasn't going to eradicate those feelings anytime soon. Instead, Castiel nodded. "I'm sorry too."

He finally stepped into the room, his hands curled up into a fist as he gently hit the wall in frustration. "I care about you so much, Cas. It's just that... I need time. I've never..."

"Yeah, I get it." Castiel squeezed his eyes shut. Opening night was supposed to be perfect, and now Dean was attempting to console him for an accidental kiss that he actually thought was real. "I guess the worst part was that I actually felt the same about you, huh? At least, I thought it was the same."

Castiel turned around, leaning against the edge of the table. Dean's eyes were so wide he felt as though he could get lost in the green hues forever. "You... Cas, I-"

"I guess we're both at fault for what happened," he interrupted, not wanting to hear about it anymore. His love life was slowly started to escalate into a play, now that he thought of it. Two best friends, one falls for the other, accidentally kiss, and pretend like it all was a mistake.

Dean was silent, and Castiel walked out of his dressing room. It felt like a reminder of how he had left the Eden Theatre all alone yesterday, leaving a silently stunned Dean all alone.

The theatre was nearly full, and when Castiel wasn't thinking of Dean he was filled with nervousness over the reactions of the audience to his acting. The play had started, and many of the scenes included Dean. But Castiel's very first one was with him. He just had to let it go, forget about it, just remember his lines.