SIX

SIX

     Velithinna moved with grace through the tunnel, leaving Vale behind on more than one occasion. Each time, Velithinna would scoff and toss Vale a few withering glares over a shoulder before slowing down. The aching throb along Vale's spine did nothing to help her keep up with the warlock that seemed less than happy to help her. She wondered if the Medici family would have healers on hand to mix up a replacement for the salve she left behind. They probably would.

     The tunnel seemed to go on for hours when they were really only walking for an hour or less. Vale had finally grown accustomed to the darkness and was no longer tripping over her own feet. There had been no sound other than their own steps and breathing and it was almost unnerving. How far would they have to walk before they reached the end of the infinite darkness?

     "Why are you helping me?" Vale found herself asking, unable to stand the silence any longer.

     The warlock cast her a sideways glance and let out a small sigh. "I am helping because a friend asked me to. I owe you nothing." The hostility in her voice had Vale rolling her eyes. Everyone she came across seemed to say the same thing, so why was anyone even helping her? She was one of the many Altered that were slaves to the Council. She wasn't anything special.

     "That's exactly why I am asking. Riordan could have saved anyone back there and yet he got me out. It makes no sense that someone like him would protect someone so beneath him. There are others that are better people than I am. There are better fighters and strategists. I'm not that important." Vale found herself touching the dagger in the sheath on her right thigh with her fingertips.

     Velithinna just scoffed and her eyes flashed angrily. "Will you just stop? Just be grateful you are getting out. Not many people get out and I don't think the ones that did ask as many questions as you do."

     As Vale opened her mouth to respond she noticed the sound of running water. They had to be close to the exit to the tunnel. "How far is Cairn's Keep from here?" The tunnel started to lighten as they continued walking. There were lit torches in view and Vale suddenly felt uneasy. Who else could be down in the tunnel with them?

     "It's half a day away." Velithinna held the torch higher, looking around as they reached the first pair of torches. The sound of the water was starting to sound more like a roar. "We are close."

     Vale jumped when she saw a shadow out of the corner of her eye. "Close to what?" Footsteps echoed through the tunnel and two figures appeared in front of them. Vale halted and grabbed the hilt of one of her daggers.

     "Relax." Velithinna approached the figures and bowed slightly. "It's nice to see you again, my friends."

     Vale looked more closely at the figures. One was a blond man and the other was a blonde female. They both had orange eyes and small fangs that poked past their lips. They looked like they could be shifters or vampires. They had to be twins. It bothered Vale that she couldn't pinpoint their race immediately. The male tilted his head in her direction and smiled. "Who is this, Velithinna? She smells absolutely exquisite." So they were vampires.

     "This is my cargo for the time being. We are heading to Cairn's Keep." Velithinna turned to look at Vale over her shoulder. "I wouldn't suggest this one as a meal. She is under Riordan's protection, Luca."

      The blonde female laughed. It was a strange tinkling sound on the moist air. "How did she earn that honor? Does she really taste that good? It's not like she's much to look at." The pair laughed in sync and goosebumps covered Vale's arms. This wasn't going to end well.