Nineteen: Nora

"I knew from the start that I loved her and knew, as well, that I would never fall back from that love, never try, never want to." ― Scott Spencer, Endless Love

Nora Keilee

My arms shivered as I walked back to the dorm in the cool Californian night. I'd left for work around four, and it was nine thirty now. I was supposed to finish at nine, but with closing and everything, I'd only managed to leave the building half an hour later. Luke had left about a half hour ago after Danielle had caught him and told him to stop bothering me at work. Something about them seemed friendly, and I was half sure she was joking, but I still got him to leave.

I knew that going across the country on a whim wasn't the most logical option, but I figured that I might as well start living. Plus, I knew that if what Luke said was true --about his parents--, he'd be a nervous wreck before we left. I didn't know what had happened between them, but it was personal, and I knew that I shouldn't be prying. God knows what I'd do if he started prying at my life.

Not that he didn't already know most of it. I mean, he knew about my mother and how closed off I was. That was basically all there was to me. I had one secret, but not even Kailee knew about that. I was an open book, for the most part.

I shivered as I walked into the dorm building, being greeted by the girl at the front desk. She smiled forcedly at me, opening the door. I felt like she didn't like me, but I didn't know if that's just how she was with everyone.

I walked into the elevator, pressing the button for our floor. I turned left once the elevator ding'ed, walking into the hallway and towards my dorm room. Because it was close to ten o'clock, the noises behind the walls were quiet. People were either out with their friends or sleeping. The walls in the dorms were incredibly thin, so I usually got to bed pretty early before everyone started coming back from parties.

I opened the door, surprised to see Kailee and Emma. I was usually alone by this time, because Emma and Kailee were out. I had no idea where Ming was, but then again, she hadn't been very friendly from the start. She tried to avoid the apartment, and the idea I had in my head at the beginning of the year that I'd be friends with her was shattered.

In my head, before we'd moved here, I thought that I would be friends with all of my roommates, and that they'd be like the sisters I never had. Turns out, I was alone more often than not, Emma had taken ownership of Kailee, and Ming was nowhere to be found. 

"Hey Nora," Emma said, smiling her perfectly straight teeth at me. Knowing her, she probably didn't have to go through braces, like I did, to get teeth like that. Knowing her, she was probably born with amazing teeth. I was jealous of her for being so perfect. 

"Hi," I said, kicking off my shoes. I grabbed my pyjamas from my cupboard, ignoring the fact that Kailee hadn't even said a word to me. Her and Emma just got on with their conversation as if I wasn't even in the room.

I walked out of the dorm and headed towards the bathroom. It sucked that we didn't have private ones, but I'd gotten used to it. I walked into a stall and undid my jeans, sighing in relief when they came undone.

The door to the bathroom opened, and tow new voices walked into the room. I held my breath and I stopped my movements, trying to be as quiet as possible as to not make myself announced.

"I don't know, Jackie. It's like he's completely ignoring me," The first voice said, and I recognized it. I looked through the slit in the door of the stall, trying to see who was talking. I could only see the back of their heads.

"Amanda, you're a catch. He's probably just being stupid," The second voice said. I recognized the name, but then again, how many girls were named Amanda? I identified the voice as the red head, but I couldn't see her face.