Night Seventy-Seven

Knockknock

I look into the mirror one more time, satisfied with what I see. Having a hair and make-up artist with you on the road is a huge advantage in situations like these. My sides are freshly shaved, nails painted in the same anthracite colour I already tried out before and I'm wearing a light make-up. Not much, just concealer, powder and a hint of eyeliner. Together with the outfit I've chosen, I look perfect for my date with Avi.

I quickly go to the door and open it. "You know you could have just used your keycard" I say with a slight smile on my face. "This is your room as much as it is mine."

"I know, but I thought this would be more fitting for the occasion" Avi returns and steps inside our shared hotel room, taking me into his arms. "Happy Birthday once again." He kisses my lips softly. "I hope you had a nice day so far."

"I had" I return. "But I missed you!"

Avi smiles. "Good to know. But I'm with you now and will be for the rest of the night."

I kiss his lips once more. "I'd love that and I'm ready to head out."

"I can see that. You look beyond amazing" Avi compliments me and I can't help but blush at that. "But before we go, I'd like to give you my present." He goes away from me and to his suitcase.

I'm very curious now, because I don't know what to expect.

"This is for you, my love. I hope you'll like it" he says before handing me a beautifully wrapped present which feels very much like a huge book.

"Thank you, Avi" I say and take the present out of his hand. It's heavy and I can't really make out what it could be. I start unwrapping it almost instantly and am taken aback when I see it.

"A travel guide for Iceland? Thank you, Avi" I say honestly. I didn't know what to expect from him and have to admit that I'll enjoy reading this, planning my own visit which will hopefully come one time.

"We still have some time, maybe you want to start reading?" Avi asks and I look at him questioning. We're about to go out for dinner and he wants me to read a travel guide. But there's a gleam in his eyes telling me to do so.

I carefully open the first page and see the small letter written in Avi's handwriting almost instantly:

Dear Mitch,
I got you this travel guide so you can take some time to look through it on another long ride on the tourbus. Think about what you'd like to see, because I'm taking you there. I've got flights scheduled and a hotel in Reykjavik. Everything else is up to you. You'll just tell me what you'd like to see and we'll figure it out.
I'm already looking forward to our first vacation together!
I love you, my dear.
Avi

I have to read it twice before I actually get the words right. "We're going to Iceland?" I ask him, still not fully believing it.

"Yes, we are" Avi replies fondly. "We've got about ten days after tour to shop for warm clothes and get everything organised and then we'll be off to Iceland."

I quickly turn and lay the book down on the bed before I hug Avi with all that I have. "Thank you, thank you, thank you! That's honestly one of the best presents you could've thought about. I love you so, so much."

"You're welcome, dear" Avi returns and hold me tight until I manage to calm down. "I'm glad that you like it. I wasn't sure what to get you, so I thought about the one thing we both could need: Time. And since you always wanted to go to Iceland and I love everything connected to nature, I figured that it would be great to go there together."

I look at him and it's very hard to not start crying. "It's perfect, thank you!"

"Now come on, I have booked an uber that should be waiting outside any minute. It'll take us to the restaurant" Avi explains once I've calmed down a little bit and am fully capable of understanding him, again.