Chapter 22

Meghans POV 

I guess I've been lucky enough to never really have to experience that kind of loss. I mean, I've lost people to the idea that they have just been dragged out of my reach, but never to the cruel actions of another. I had respect, the up-most respect for this determined, beautiful and seemingly un-phased girl that was stood before me, hands on hips and ready to kiss ass. I loved her dearly. I knew inside her head there was a sandstorm and the sand was causing her eyes to itch and swell, but she would carry on, seemingly unaffected and confident. Yes, she had her moments, but those moments were so limited and so selfless that no one could ever hold her to them or use them against her.

I lifted my foot higher than usual and placed it gently over a bramble to clear the path for those behind me. Tiff giggled as her and Lizzie tailed behind but always keeping an eye on the herd. Joey moved closer to me and slipped his hand into mine. Two canons sounded in the winter air, causing the snowflakes that were falling gently to the soil to shake in mid air and create a conflict with the vicious message behind the sound. This also  caused Joey's grip on my hand to strengthen and pull mine closer to him. I shivered but carried on going. "All okay?" I creakily strained back to Tiff and Lizzie, they nodded and increased their speed. "Good, we will stop for the night soon, Ill just find a sheltered area". I pulled back a shrub and allowed the rest of them to crawl away from the amber sun into the caved bushes. It was only then that I realised the trail of blood from Lizzie's leg. "Lizzie Oh my God are you ok?" I cried out running to her side. She turned around in confusion and worry "What? Yeh Im fine?" I pointed to the back of her leg and to the peeling skin of the back of her knee. The colour drained from her face and her eyes rolled back I raced to catch her before she hit the floor. Cold out, she had fainted. "Joey quickly do something!" I begged, knowing that he knew the most about healing remedies.  As joey left the shelter in a hurry I couldnt help but wonder why the games were just out to get Lizzie again and again and again. One person can only take so much. I sat with her rested against my thighs, stroking her forehead and talking words of comfort into her ear. Tiff started rearranging the bushes and creating alcoves for us to sleep in with a concerned look on her face. "Is she going to be ok?" She whispered, sounding close to tears, I nodded and confidently said "I wouldnt be half surprised if this girl was up and running about in 10 minutes" I said it with a slight chuckle, "This girl. She must be made of titanium. She is completely bulletproof." Tiff smiled gently and kissed Lizzie's forehead. I smiled at her and continued to sooth Lizzie till Joey came back. This girl was seriously amazing, I had to do everything I could. 

I crawled out of our hiding place near the lake and sat down near the falsely pink shadowed water. The ripples in the water created a soothing rhythm. My breathing matched the tempo of the wind and the sun slowly sank to the height of the trees that cast the shadow down my spine. A shiver ran up my neck and caused my lip to quiver. A flock of bird flew across the skyline as a gentle breeze swept through my hair. I exhaled. Gently, calmly, softly. I felt a hand on my should, I didnt panic, I didnt run or jump, I knew that hand and there was no reason to run. Joey's familiar shape positioned itself beside me. He rolled up the bottom of his jumpsuit and dipped his ankles in the cooled water. I rested my head on his shoulder, and the beautiful thing was that no words were exchanged as we both watched the rare beauty of the deadly fate. The sky illuminated and yet again, presented us with more to mourn over, Grace and Phil, loved, innocent and now, dead. What was wrong with us.