Prologue

Such a cold night.

As she stood there, a car flashing red and blue lights came with its sirens activated.

"It's your lucky day. Don't let me see you again."

Knocking the man out swiftly, Tanizaki Izumi ran her hands down her jacket, swiping any dirt or dust from the brawl earlier.

"Hey, you! Hands in the air and turn around!" The policeman stepped out from the vehicle and took his gun out, pointing at her. She stood there with both of her hands tucked in the pockets of her grey jacket comfortably, turning around slowly. 

"Oh my. You should probably book yourself a lesson on how to use a gun properly. Can you even shoot?." Izumi taunted the man. She was analysing his reactions ever since he stepped out from the car. The way that he faced her. The way that he held his gun. His facial expressions and his body language were telling her signs of anxiousness and fear. She could easily take over his gun and shoot him in his leg to hear him scream in agony. Or she could freeze him and admire his face as long as she wanted.

But not today, she thought. She needed a place to stay over the night.

Moving her hands up in the air, he swiftly moved closer to her and cuffed her up. She winced at the touch, feeling the sweat from his hands.

Taking her towards the car, she sat in and lied against the seat.

"Don't try to run away."

"I would've done it before you could stuff me into this car. Well, drive on. The light's green."

~~

Izumi wasn't really welcomed as the policeman threw her into the small cell before handing over to the investigator.

"How did you get in here again?" 

"By hitting up a guy quite badly. But he isn't dead. He's half dead."

"I would run away if I am that guy. The superintendent is here, unfortunately. Don't expect to get a wink of sleep." The investigator said before he opened the door. An old man walked into the room.

"Such a beautiful young lady. Come, let's start by asking you some questions." 

"Do I look like I have a choice?"

"Want to earn some quick cash?" He asked while cleaning a particular spot on the chair before sitting down.

"I wouldn't want to if you are trying to drag me into your farm. I'm not your cash cow, asshole."

"Language, lady. I know you're debt-ridden. Your dad is a gambler while your poor mum is confined to her bed. One needs money while the other spends them like an open tap. Such a great cycle, isn't it? A billion dollars worth of debt is not going to clear up even after you die working like a mad dog, bounty hunter."

"What do you want from me, Nakahara?" She cut straight to his objective, knowing that she's not going to leave the cell unless she agreed to his deal.

"You have the ability to make objects come alive, don't you? That's how you became the boss in this huge backyard, even ruling over the yakuza. But that's the past. I hereby propose a way to save you and your huge bag of debt."

"Wow. How do you intend to save me?" Izumi said with a smirk on her face, about to freeze water vapour around the air into a blade.

"Be a saniwa, and you get loads of cash you've never had. A fully-loaded vault awaits you at the Treasury."

"Saniwa? People who desperately try to save the world from maniacs who want to meddle with the past? It's surprising that the Diet wants me to save their country instead of them working their asses off and think out of something."

"You are the only one to have two abilities instead of one. Freezing people isn't a difficult task. You get paid for killing the right people."

Izumi contemplated on whether she should kill him because of his facial expression or his gun poking on her stomach.

"Then, I shall request one thing. Erase me off the records."

Nakahara revealed a huge grin as he nodded his head, showing her the contract.

"Granted. Please sign here. There will be someone to take you over later."

As she took the pen, she signed the document without any hesitation. All she could see in her eyes was a playful fox waiting to get caught in a hunter's trap.

"Don't try to play tricks with me, Nakahara."

"You have my word as long as you work there, Tanizaki."

A knock was soon heard, and a lady came in, properly dressed in a black suit.

"I expect no resistance from you. I am Shimizu Benio."

"We meet again, old friend."