Chapter 10

"Brigitta, do you know, I think Charlotte is the kindest, most understanding teacher here?" I asked as we returned to our room at the end of the day. 

Brigitta laughed. "Well, I don't see how you can know for sure. She's the only teacher we've had here."

"Personal conviction, I guess. She just has to be. I can't imagine anyone else, besides my mother, who could be as understanding as Charlotte. Do you know what I mean?" I asked, flopping down on the big bed. 

"I guess so," Brigitta answered, plopping down beside me. "Say, do you want to go for a little walk before dinner?"

"Where to?"

"Well, there's a really nice park a little ways from here, Charlotte told me. I'm sure we could find it," 

Her enthusiasm was contagious. "Lead the way, then."

Laughing, she took my hand and led me carefully down the stairs, and out into the fresh air. I breathed deeply. It seemed so long since I had been outdoors, even though it was only just yesterday. 

We walked on for a little while, probably ten minutes, before Brigitta spotted the place of our destination. "It's beautiful here. The leaves on every tree are turning a brilliant red, yellow or orange, and the goldenrod is blooming. There are a few roses left, but most are 'faded and gone'." 

"It sounds lovely. I only wish I could see it. 

"Wait here," Brigitta said mysteriously. "Don't go away."

"All right?" I agreed slowly, wondering where she was going, and what she was going to do. 
A few minutes passed, and I felt the smooth, thin stem of a flower slip into my hand. 

I breathed in the scent. "A rose. But where are the thorns?"

"I stripped them. It is safer so, for your hands,"a strange voice replied. 

"Who are you? I thought you were Brigitta."

"I am Josie, Charlotte's daughter. She told me about you. Don't worry; Brigitta is here, too."

"Nicoletta, meet Josie. I think you'll find that you have a lot in common. And I mean a lot!" 

"Brigitta!" Josie scolded. "Mother said she should find it out on her own, without being told. Don't go giving it away with the first introduction."

"Sorry," Brigitta mumbled. 

"What's going on?" I was thoroughly bewildered by their exchange. "What should I find out on my own? What are you talking about?"

"Uh - well, I really can't tell you, now," Josie answered nervously. "You'll find out soon enough, without my telling you. I'm going to be moving in across the hall from your room, so we'll be around each other a lot."

What in the world? This is puzzling. Very puzzling.

What's going on?! LOL! You'll just have to wait to find out! Don't forget to comment and vote if you enjoyed the chapter. Thanks! Dorothy