2.

i hear the doorbell ring and my mother goes to answer it.

it's not the guests. it's my brother, james.

i hear my mum greet him and then it's quiet. they're probably talking about me. i roll my eyes at the thought and grab my laptop, opening up microsoft word.

i start on chapter three of my book i plan to publish. if i can ever get in contact with any publishing houses, that is.

---

i'm halfway into chapter three when the doorbell rings again. this time it is the guests. i hear my mother greeting them. it sounds like a lot. at least 4 people.

i listen carefully and recognise anne's voice and her husband robin. there's two other voices. a boy and a girl. they sound a little older than me, like my mum mentioned earlier.

i debate whether or not i should go downstairs and say hi but decide against it. i like the quiet and my own company. i might as well make the most of it considering i'm going to be forced to socialise for the rest of the evening with anne and her brood.

i grab an oversized pink sweater and some black skinny jeans and throw those on. no point in dressing up for a meal in my own house... i curl my hair and decide against makeup, opting for a natural look. just as i unplug my curlers, i hear my name being called.

i trudge downstairs and am greeted by six pairs of eyes, two pairs being my mothers and brothers. i look at the remaining four pairs of eyes.

i see anne, robin, a tall brunette haired girl with blonde highlights and a tall dark haired boy.

that's harry. i remember him.

i can feel myself staring and i start to blush, wondering if he's noticed. i glance up at him, praying that he hadn't.

we lock eyes for a moment before both of us look away quickly, avoiding any further awkwardness.

i quickly walk into the dining room, harry and his family following. i take a seat at the table and pay that harry doesn't choose to sit next to me.

i'm in luck. he takes a seat next to my brother, just opposite me. i can deal with that. gemma takes a seat next to me and smiles. "look at you," she shakes her head in bewilderment. "you must've been tiny when i last saw you!" i shrug my shoulders and grin. i glance over to my brother who is in deep conversation with harry about gym routines and detoxes. i look back at gemma and raise my eyebrows. she smiles and rolls her eyes in a playful manner. "boys," she mutters, checking her phone before putting it in her pocket.

the two boys are interrupted by my mother. "harry, would you like a sandwich?" she offers. harry glances down at the sandwiches she has before choosing a cheese and pickle one. i scrunch up my nose in distaste at his choice of filling.

he sees me looking at him and raises an eyebrow before taking a bite of the sandwich, his eyes not leaving mine. i'm snapped out of the trance by my mum offering me a sandwich this time. i politely decline before looking back at harry who's smirking.

this is going to be a long night.