Chapter2: Chills

Caitlin had been asleep most of the night.  But it was a restless sleep.  Though she thought that memories of that night were getting better, for some reason, the dreams were coming back.  But of course, they weren't of Ronnie like they were before.  This time they were very different.  For some reason they were focusing more on her.  She began to get restless and stir around, but never seemed to wake up.  Barry, feeling her restlessness, woke up and tried to stir Caitlin awake.  But he couldn't get her to.  It was like she was trapped in the dream.  Barry gently placed his hand on her shoulder to calm her down as he heard her suddenly start to mutter nonsense and narrowed his eyes with worry as he felt her body suddenly go from very cold to very hot.  "Caitlin!"  He shouted loud enough for her to hear but not loud enough for the kids to wake up and worry.

Caitlin  suddenly jolted awake almost forgetting where she was.  'Hey.  You're alright it's me.."  Caitlin turned to look at Barry and he could see fear in her eyes.  "B.  Barry?"  She asked almost seeming as if she was confused.  "I don't want to become her Barry."  Caitlin said quietly.  "I can't become her.."  She said once she got her focus back.  Barry flipped on the lamp to look at Caitlin and placed his hand over hers.  He was surprised to see that her body temp still felt quite cool.  "You won't become her.  I won't let you."  Caitlin nodded.  "I keep seeing myself as her..  And I suddenly feel chills.  But then something seems to remind me of you before I can get dragged down too far..."  Barry listened to her explanation.  "You won't become her.  I'll be here to remind you that you'd never be like her  That you wouldn't hurt anyone..."  "I don't want anything to happen to Beth and Emily.."  She started.  Barry shook his head.  "Nothing will happen to either of you.  I won't allow it.."

The next morning, Barry let Caitlin sleep as he knew she had a rough night.  He was getting quite worried about her.  All the signs were pointing to her becoming a meta-human.  The only thing he had to do was show her who she really was.  And teach Caitlin how to do good with her powers instead of being afraid of turning into Killer Frost.  He went to wake up Bethany so she could get ready for school leaving Emily sleep.  Since Caitlin didn't seem to be doing very well, he called Cisco to let him know they wouldn't be at the lab today as Caitlin wasn't feeling up to par. "Is she okay?"  Cisco asked with a worried expression, as it wasn't the first time that Barry had called them both in lately.  "Yeah.  She will be fine.."  He said not wanting to make a big deal out of something if it wasn't really going to happen.  "Have a good day sweetie."  Barry said as Bethany walked outside to wait for the bus.  She smiled.  "Bye dad.."  She said once she stepped out.

Once again, Caitlin began to stir as the dreams began to come to her.  She suddenly felt her body shivering even though she was warm under the blankets at her house.  You know you want to.  Why stop the inevitable?  She heard a familiar but distant voice inside her head.  "No!"  She cried out jolting awake.  Barry, hearing Caitlin's scream, quickly rushed upstairs and sighed seeing that she was safe.  He walked over sitting on the ledge of the bed next to Caitlin.  He placed his hand over Caitlin's slowly as she turned to face Barry with a worried expression.  "I've got you.."  He smiled wrapping his arms around her.  She leaned in slightly to rest her head on his shoulder to try and calm down from the dreams.

"Bethany?  Did she get to school on time?"  Caitlin asked once she had gotten ready and had come downstairs and sat at the table as Barry finished making breakfast.  "Yes.  Emily is still sleeping.  She must still be tired out from the big day yesterday."  He grinned.  Caitlin smiled.  "They did seem to have fun..."  Barry finished baking the omelets then set the dish on the table sitting  across from Caitlin smiling.  "Yes they did.  "It does seem strange doesn't it?  To not be out on the field all the time?"  Caitlin said after being silent for awhile.  Barry raised his eye slightly curious as to wondering where she was getting at.  He nodded.  "Yes it does.  But in a way, I'm glad things seemed to have worked out now.  Because I get to spend time with you..  And my daughters.."  He smiled.  "But I would be lying if I said I miss being out there everyday, I am glad that for once we are able to catch a break.  All of us deserve it..."  Caitlin smiled.  "I love you mr. Allen."  Barry smirked.  "I love you too mrs. Allen.."

  "Are you sure Cisco has things down at Star Labs?"  Caitlin asked after they had breakfast, they had woken Emily up and gotten her ready so they could take her to the park before Bethany came home from school.  Barry glances over at Caitlin.  "He will be fine.  Cisco has things covered pretty well when we haven't been able to be there before.. I am sure he's doing just fine.."  Barry smiled.  "Higher daddy!"  Emily laughed as the swing seemed to slow down.  Barry mirrored the laugh.  "Yes of course..."  Caitlin grinned leaning against the pole of the swing set as she watched the two of them. 

Suddenly, Caitlin seemed to feel her body heat change again.  Though it was spring weather, her body dropped to very cold heat, where if someone would've touched her they would've thought she was developing hypothermia.  Caitlin's focus suddenly seemed to get lost and she felt herself slumping down to the ground.  Barry, sensing this, used his speed to quickly catch Caitlin before she passed out completely.  "Hey..  Cait..."  He glances over at Emily as he heard her calling out to her mother with a worried voice.  "She'll be okay.."  He assured Emily.  Suddenly, Caitlin's eyes flung open, but there seemed to be something different about her.  Her eyes looked darker than usual.  "My name's not Cait.."  She said in the coldest voice Barry had ever heard..