Things you need to know before reading the story

What is Asperger Syndrome?
Asperger syndrome is basically a developmental disorder, where people have difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication. People with this disorder usually have unusual interests. It is somewhat like autism, but it is specifically an Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and differs from other disorders by relatively normal language and intelligence. Symptoms of this usually begin before two years old and usually last for a person's entire life.
Improving poor communication skills, obsessive or repetitive routines, and physical clumsiness can help. Interventions may include social skills training, cognitive behavioral therapy, physical therapy, speech therapy, parent training, and medications for associated problems such as mood or anxiety.
How do we deal with people who have Asperger's?
People with Asperger's usually find it difficult to communicate and express themselves. Thus, they should be dealt with gently and should be given enough time to express themselves. They are usually sensitive and might get angry at times. They usually like to be alone by themselves, but a little company would always cheer them up. Their mind functions differently than others.
Deficits in self-identifying emotions or in observing effects of one's behavior on others can make it difficult for individuals with Asperger's to see why medication may be appropriate. Medication can be effective in combination with behavioral interventions and environmental accommodations in treating symptoms such as anxiety disorder, major depressive disorder, inattention and aggression.
Treating Asperger's early and getting proper care can reduce a person's difficulties and increase his or her ability to maximize strengths and learn new skills. While there is no single best treatment for it, working closely with the doctor is an important part of finding the right treatment programs. There are a few classes of medications that doctors may use to treat some difficulties that are common with Asperger's.

When people say to me, "I have someone in my life who has Asperger's. What can I do to help them?" my first thought, no matter what age they are, is that the person with Asperger's needs to understand that they need a life partner and they need a job. The high rates of anxiety, depression, and suicide in the Asperger population come from not having these two things. It doesn't matter if you get paid a lot. It doesn't matter if you have kids. It doesn't matter if you make enough money to live on your own. You just need those two things: a life partner and a job.
~Penelope Trunk