March 19th

Dear diary,

It's me again. Well, I talked to someone who made my decision to break the rules both easier and harder for me.

It started today in Earth Science.

"We're going to be working in partners for the next couple days. We will be discussing the different properties of different minerals. You will research the mineral you choose and present your research in the form of a PowerPoint to the class. Any questions?" Mr. Ford explained.

I raised my hand. He pointed to me. "Will we be choosing our own partners?" I asked. Erika shot me a smile. Mr. Ford shook his head.

"I will be assigning partners, but you get to choose your mineral. No two groups can use the same mineral!" He announced. I sunk down in my seat. It was unlikely that I would be working with Erika.

"I assume you all want to know who you are working with. Molly Quinn and Dylan Travers, Sienna Grayson and Eli Hill, Ross Till and Rose Till, Erika Grayson and Katie Moore," He listed off. I sank deeper in my seat. I wasn't working with Erika. At least I couldn't work with Sienna either.

Mr. Ford continued. "Fred Dixon and Haven Perry, Isabella French and Stormie Austin, Zeke Zeiss and Kayla Beckham, Landon Walker and Ella Zimmerman."

I was working with Landon? I had to be dreaming or something. Landon shot me a smile. My face turned red.

Mr. Ford stated, "Get with your partner and discuss which mineral you would like."

Landon dashed over to me before I could even move.

Landon has dirty blond hair that almost looks light brown, but you can tell it's blond by its gold tint when the light hits it. His eyes are bright emerald, similar to Erika's.

He sat down next to me, in the seat Erika had abandoned to find her partner.

"Hi," He said, beaming.

"Hi," My face was warm. I gulped. "Er, so which mineral do you want to do?" I asked.

Landon shrugged. "You choose. They all sound interesting."

"Er..." They all sounded interesting to me. I closed my eyes and pointed at the board where our options were written. I moved my finger around randomly and opened my eyes. I had randomly selected silver. "Silver?"

"Sounds good to me." He said. He told Mr. Ford that we wanted silver and he crossed silver off the board now that it was taken.

"So are you going to the dance?" Landon asked curiously.

I bit my lip. "Maybe... I'm not sure."

"Oh, well I hope you do. We could hang out." Landon looked down at the desk.

I began to play with my locket, nervously. "You'd want to hang out with me?"

"Of course. You're my... Friend." He paused before the last word. My heart sank a little. He considered me a friend... Only a friend.

Landon and I were friends, but for the most part I kept to myself or with Erika. Landon was pretty popular and was friends with everyone.

"Aren't you going to busy hanging out with Zeke?" I asked.

Landon shook his head. "He'll be too busy with Erika. He's got a huge crush on her." He laughed.

I smiled. "Well then if I go I'll wedge you into my schedule." I teased.

He smiled. "How kind of you." Landon joked.

Landon wants me to go! I can't just stay home now! My photography and my crush are on the line! It looks like I just might have to break a few rules...

                                             Sincerely,
                                                      Ella