Dirt, Dreams and Dangerous Highlanders

A horrid rumbling shifted my mind from the running horses over the foggy mores and the low screams of men. I awoke with a jump when the next thunder descended over the campus. Fully conscious of my surroundings I noticed the big pile of used napkins and the empty Ben and Jerry packets, which Ididn’t even want to know how many was lying around, emptied because of my heart ache.

The lightning showered the small room with light, before the sound of the rain splatter was once again concealed by the roar of another thunder. I had nothing against rain and storms, I usually loved the rain splatter against the window and the lightning the stroke across the sky, but something about this one was particularly nervewrecking.

I shrugged, trying to get the last of the shoulder ache from sleeping in my sofa. But no one could really blame my since it was a woman's right to sleep in uncanny places when one's heart had been broke just a few days before.

My friends had tried to hint about how the man-who-shall-not-be-named was sleeping around whit most of the undergraduates, but I had been to blinded by love to take them seriously. They had been together for half a year when I found him, in my flat ‘doing’ the girl who worked in the coffee shop just below my little two roomer.

I was not going to think about that again or the way he had yelled at me when I kicked him and the girl out. He was a weakling for sure.

I figured that I had entered step three in my ’getting over a break up guide’ because of the wrath I felt for that puny man. I huffed before I started to clean the place up. It was truly a mess after the break up. I found thing from the denial face, which included phone calls my best friends trying to convince me, and not them, that what he did wasn’t that bad. Maybe it was just that one girl and maybe it was really all my fault for not being that good of a girlfriend. Then I had entered the grieving period, eating Ben and Jerry as if my life depended on the creamy ice cream. There were to many feel good Rom-Coms out for anyone good mind and I could still see Bridget Jones miming to ‘all by myself’ in such and awful red PJ.

No! I was truly over being the helpless little nobody under my cosiest blanket, I was going to go trough the day with a smile on my lips and no one could say that they were so sorry for me and how much of a bastard the man-who-shall-not-be-named is.

I smiled for the first time in a week, finally feeling that something good was going to happen today. Nope, I was not going to be feeling any more sorrow over that two-faced devil of a cheater!

-

How wrong could a girl really be?
The rain was still drissiling outside the big ancient windows of king’s college library, Cambridge. Johanna was looking trough the shelves regarding the early Celt's and the culture of the highlanders during the Viking era, since that was what my PhD was going to centre around. I looked trough the books, wrinkles visible on my forehead when I saw the man-who-shall-not-be-named entering trough the door from the staircases. Fortunately I was standing in the first small alcove with the solid island bookcase. I saw how he pulled one of his mates behind him walking trough the center aisle. I felt the adrenaline kick in and the desperate need not to be seen.

My breath hitched when I heard the familiar footsteps stop just in front of the book island. The scraping sound of chairs being pulled out was heard and then a deep heavy sigh of frustration roamed trough the air.

”I told you Jack, She was just so bloody stupid, she could ’of get all of this man! No girl refuses this!” That screeching Geordie I would recognize anywhere and I clamped my teeth together trying not to fling up and point an accusing finger towards the damnable man. I breath in, holding a small notepad to my chest trying to hear what Jack answered.

”Well, I must say that I’m glad to have you back! Even though you really never left! I can’t imagine what it must’ve been telling that fatty that you loved her. She has a bit too much meat on her bone if you know what I mean.” Breathe Johanna, I thought to myself, they are not worthy of your wrath. A high-five sounded trough the hall.

”Yeah, but she still kicked me out. If I could only copy that last chapter of her PhD I would be set.” My eye’s flashed. I had noticed how he had been studying my papers an awfully long time, but never had I though that he would drop so low as to copy my work. Uh-nu! No one copies my hard work, putting their name on it. I rose from behind the book island with a death glare.

”Really, You, the professor would know that you never would be able to write what I’ve written.” I smirked before flipping my hair over my shoulder, picking up the book I held in my hands pretending to read. I heard how the man-who-shall-not-be-named tried to find words, letting him try for a minute I then turned up and with a rise of the eyebrow I smiled sweetly.

”See, you can’t even find proper vocabulary right now...” I looked down once again reading the next paragraph, trying not to flinch when I heard what he said next.

”Well, I will maybe not be able to call ye work me own. But at least I am not stuck with a big fat cow anymore!” I tried to breathe, pulling a big portion of air in, before letting it slowly out. I turned and walked away while hearing Jack congratulate his bastard of a friend and doing dome sort of ‘innovative’ handshake. I turned in to one of the other small alcoves, hiding my sniffles by biting my inner lip till I tasted blood.

I sat there for a good thirty minutes before I was sure I was able to walk down the stairs. When I had got to the entrance and left the pinkish staircase walls behind me, I saw a small wanting ad posted on the door.

I had never really cared to read them since they usually were so popular so that I would never get the job. With my free hand I picked the flyer up and started to read.

The division of archeology was seeking a Celtic and Viking graduate to help them with a most satisfying dig, up in the furthest parts of the highlands. After the pressure I had felt in there, and the adrenaline kick I had received I felt like I just wanted to get away, out-of-town and, apparently towards the highlands.

With a big breath I nodded once, like if I wanted to assure myself that I really was going to go trough with it, and ripped the flyer from the wall, starting to dial the number that was stated while I walked trough he big wooden doors.

______________________

Hope you guys liked this! Please tell me if you want me to continue. With much love! Emma