XXVII

No Sacrifice

I ran away with all my might, with Hak just right behind me. It seemed that he understood what was important right now - which was to leave the castle as quickly as possible. My train of thought was interrupted when I heard a very familiar voice call out to us. I looked to see Min-Soo (one of our servants in the castle) calling out for Hak and I.

I didn't sense any malice nor any ill intent from him so he was safe. Once we were close to him, it was then I noticed the bow and arrows on his person.

"Min-Soo, what were you planning on doing with those things?" I asked.

He blushed slightly but his tone was serious. "Actually, I was planning on shooting an arrow to distract them so that you two could escape but - " He looked directed his gaze at me for a moment before continuing. " - I think you had that covered, princess."

"I suppose so." I shrugged.

There was a pause before Min-Soo spoke up again. "Is his majesty - "

"Yes." I answered without the slightest hint of hesitance. "He has died." There was a hint of remorse in my tone but I didn't dwell on it too much. There were currently more important things to be doing.

"It's only a matter of time before they find us." This time, Hak was the one who spoke up.

I noticed Min-Soo's determined eyes. "I'll create a way for you two to escape. Please escape from this castle." He said.

"No." I voiced out my opinion.

Their eyes widened to my sudden words. "But princess, we'll be killed for sure if we're caught! Let me do this so that you two can escape at least!" Min-Soo protested but I wouldn't have any of it.

 "You must be quite daft to think that I would let someone else die for my sake." I shook my head. "So no, I will not let you proceed with your plan, Min-Soo."

"If you will not let me do this, then what will happen then?" He asked in defiance.

"There are other ways to move around the castle without being seen, you know." I said and the two's reaction as to be expected was - dumbfoundment.