Camp

We finally reached the caves and set up camp. I sat on a nearby log and looked at the still unconscious Megan that Dumbo had carried all the way here. Sammy trotted over to my log and plumped down next to me.

"Is she ever gonna wake up?" he wined. I looked over at him and almost said "Of course, Sammy. She'll wake up soon", but I didn't want to get his hopes up. Even though Dumbo was a doctor and Ben had taken care of him at Wright-Patterson, Sammy still trusted me the most. And I hated him for it.

"I really don't know Sams. That explosion was intense- and she's been through a lot already," I replied.

He sighed and frowned. "I didn't think she was gonna wake up," he huffed and crossed his arms across his chest. Ben came over and patted Sammy on the back

"It'll be okay Nugget. Megan will wake up in no time," he assured him.

"You really think so, Zombie?" Sammy asked, his eyes wide and glistening with tears.

"I know so. Dumbo is the best doctor I know, he'll help her out," Ben replied, flashing Sammy a huge smile. Sammy grinned, jumping up and running over to Dumbo, probably to pester him about Megan. Ben laughed and took Sam's seat on the log

"Why did you tell him that? We don't know if she's going to wake up and I don't want him getting his hopes up. Again. Hope is dangerous," I whisper-shouted, averting Ben's gaze.

"Cassie, he's a little kid. He needs hope, especially in times like these. And it seems so normal to tell kids what they want to hear," he replied.

"But times aren't normal," I shot back. He didn't say anything. The air was tense and I longed for it not to be. "So you guys are still calling each other by your code names, huh," I said, trying to clear the air and spark a normal conversation.

He chuckled. "Yeah, it looks that way. I guess it's so we can still have something from then. Back when we were soldiers and not runaways," he replied sadly. I looked into his eyes and saw nothing but despair and grief. His expression looked empty.

"I'm sorry Ringer's gone. I'm sorry all of them are gone. Teacup and your sister, I mean. I can't imagine if I lost Sammy..." I trailed off. "But Ben, it's not your fault. You can't beat yourself up over it. And Ringer and Teacup aren't your fault either. They left on their own. We'll find them-they're both strong. And smart, they know what they're doing. I'm sure that they're trying everything they can to find you," I assured him. Tears were prickling in his eyes. I put my hand on his thigh and he cringed. "Oh shit I'm sorry! I forgot Evan shot you!" I exclaimed. I looked at the ground and tears started welling in my eyes as well. "That's all he ever did. Hurt people. Even me," I whispered more to myself than him.

Ben looked over at me and put his hand on my shoulder. "He can't hurt you anymore Cassie," he said softly.

"That's for sure."

"Do you really not miss him? He saved your life, and your brother's. In fact, he saved mine too," Ben said. What point was he trying to get across?

"Yeah, well, he's also the one who tried to take it," I reminded him.

"It seemed like he loved you. It seemed like you loved him," Ben said.

I rolled my eyes. "Evan caused me pain. Sure he loved me and I- I loved him, but in the end, I'm glad he's gone. He was a liar, and heartbreaker, and I'm glad to be done with him," I said. It was silent for a minute. "Why do you care so much anyway?" I finally asked.

"Because," Ben said, taking my hand, "I needed to know you're over him so I can do this." And he kissed me. A full out kiss. I never thought I'd see the day where Ben Parish kissed me like that. 

"A year ago I would've sold my soul for that," I said when he broke away.

"Not worth it," he replied.

We sat on our log for a while in perfect silence. "I think I'll name it Howard. The log, I mean. Howard the pet log. Has a nice ring to it," I said patting the log. He laughed and smiled his killer Ben Parish smile that made my heart melt. I've seen that smile a lot. I've seen it whilst walking down the halls of our old high school. I've seen it when he's with Ringer or Sammy or Dumbo. But this one, this one looked the realest.