1| In Cold Blood

"Sarah, did you happen to finish that assignment Ms. Mahone called about being late?" Ms. Stone, Sarah's young mother said while she put the empty plates from the table to the sink. Sarah had been eating pancakes her mother made her and was now trying to get ahold of Audrey and Noah, both not answering.

"Uh, yeah. It's in my bag." She lied. She didn't have the time this weekend. With work and with the entire outing situation, she had a lot to try to handle over the weekend. "It's not late. It was due Thursday, if anything I'm barely on time." She sassed.

"It's your education, not mine." Her mother shrugged, grabbing her purse from over the counter. "Shit." Her mother gasped. Sarah peeped her head up from her phone and saw her mother's bag soaking wet. "Dylan, stop it with the water." She exclaimed, grabbing the sippy cup from Sarah's two year old brother's hand. He began to cry, but when Sarah picked him up, he became quiet.

"I can take him to daycare. I don't get why you have to actually go sign him in, I mean, I can easily do it since it's on my way to class." Sarah stated, her brother tugging on the necklace she wore across her neck. Her name necklace, the one her father gave her before he went out of town on his first ever business trip. Now it was his sixteenth business trip, and Sarah hadn't seen him in a few weeks. She wore it because without it she felt empty.

"It's okay, Sarah. I can-" Sarah's mom began dabbing bounty paper towels onto her bag hoping it'd soak up the water drenching her expensive Louis Vuitton purse, but it didn't do much.

"I'll take him. Get to work and I'll text you when he's at the daycare." Sarah smiled, taking her backpack from the corner of the chair and hauling it over her shoulder.

"Are you driving or walking?" Her mother wondered.

"With this troublemaker, driving is easier." Sarah grinned.

"Just be safe, okay?" Sarah's mother leaned in and kissed Dylan on the forehead and placed her hand atop of Sarah's shoulder. "Now let's get going, or we'll both be late." Her mother rushed them out.

Sarah entered her grey minivan, which was also her father's, while her mother entered her blue Honda civic. Sarah buckled her brother in, and then herself and began to drive to school.

"Dylan, are you thirsty?" Sarah asked, looking through the rearview mirror at her brother. He shook his head no, and started to look around the back seat area. The car ride was quick, but it was more efficient for Sarah since her brother was joining her.

She turned right into the parking lot towards the school, her car swerving past the hungover teens that were still adjusting themselves to not only the daylight, but the fact it was Monday morning. She parked in the 'with child' handicap spot, which was commonly used for teen mom's whose kids went to daycare at the school.

"Alright Dylan, let's get you out of this." Sarah smiled, pressing the red button that removed the seatbelt from the buckle. She picked him up and he threw his arms around her neck, laying his head on her shoulder.

Sarah began to walk over to the daycare entrance when she happened to pass Will Belmont, Riley Marra, Jake Fitzgerald, Brooke Maddox, and Emma Duval, otherwise known as the clique that was helping Nina Patterson ruin everyone in the school's lives. They all huddled around a picnic table near the daycare entrance. She held her breath as she walked with her brother clenching onto her shirt. "Excuse me." She politely whispered to Jake who had his leg out ahead of Sarah, most likely wanting her to stop and chat.

"Who's the dad?" Jake chuckled, looking at Will as he spoke.

"My dad. He's my brother. You know that, Jake. Now move." Sarah said before kicking Jake slightly in the shin. He swung his leg back and stood up off his seat. Brooke had her hand on his arm, hoping he'd sit down.