12. Truth

A/N: sooo we're back to the start! like where the first chapter first started is where this is. i didn't write the same stuff though but you'll be able to tell the similarities of it.

this is short, but maybe i'll update faster ¿

----

Two weeks later I heard: "You have an interview with People."

Thanks, Chris.

It seemed like the floor was shaking as I walked in, but it was probably just me, breathing too heavily and trembling from anxiety. My skin felt damp from sweat, though when I looked at my arms I saw goosebumps. I'd tried too hard to look nice, and it didn't make sense because it wouldn't even be on air, only in print. If I looked like an absolute mess, no one but my interviewer would even know, but I felt that it may have somehow helped my case if I looked decent, so I curled my hair, had my makeup done, and wore heels with a dress that had recently gotten tight on me.

I'd always wanted to be famous, but at that moment I suddenly started to wonder if it was worth all that. If it was worth losing my own identity, worth having millions of stranger judge me endlessly.

Then I thought about Kickin' It. I thought about Disney, how much I loved to act and to sing and how I finally had my shot at it. I could live that way forever. Live in the light, make something of myself, be someone special.

That was worth anything.

Maybe one day, one day really far away, my baby would be a kid, I'd be an adult, and that'd be all people thought about. Maybe they'd let the whole scandal of 'Disney star, fifteen and pregnant' go. No, they'd never forget, but they'd have to move on. We all have to move on eventally, from nearly everything.

The woman interviewing me was a lady with immaculate brown skin and pretty dark curls. She looked at me with a gentle smile, her eyes growing bright, but that could have been a makeup trick from the golden eyeliner she was wearing.

"I'm Nyla," she introduced herself, holding her hand out.

She was acting so sweet, like she wasn't about to ruin my life by asking me everything I didn't want to answer.

"Hi," I said nervously.

I repeated Chris's rules in my head as we sat down:

Tell the truth, be honest. But don't say too much. Be a little vague. Nothing that seems to be at all TMI. Try to remain calm. If you have to pause to think before you speak, do it. You don't want to say something you'll regret, because she can print all of it.

My head buzzed from it all, but I tried keeping it in the back of my mind the whole time.

[ article ]

[ article ]

When you found out you were pregnant, what thoughts were running through your head? How were you feeling?

I was scared. I had no idea what to do. I kind of just shut down, like... what happens now? And I thought a lot about how I'd tell my family and my friends, and also my fans. I felt really bad, like I'd let everyone down.

What kind of reactions did you get from everyone?

Oh, um, it was all kind of the same, like 'Are you serious?'. Everyone was just really surprised. And my parents were so mad, or, disappointed, and they still are, but they're still really supportive about everything. They're the best.

That's great, I'm sure that'll be a big help down the road.

Oh, definitely. They help me immensely.

Now, there's been a lot of speculation that you and Luke Benward broke up, is that true?

Yes it is. We did.

And, just for clarification, he is the father?

No. Uh, actually, we were already broken up when it happened. My costar, Leo Howard, is a really good friend of mine, and when Luke and I broke up he made me feel a lot better. Um, then things happened, and, well, he's the father.

You said he's a good friend?

He's... one of my best friends. Yes.

Just a friend, though?

Yes. It was one time, me and him, and I guess it's better for us just to be friends.

How are you handling all of this going so public? It's one of the most high-profile stories right now.

It really is, isn't it? I mean, I never expected people to react well to it, so I'm not surprised. The mean names and false rumors I'm seeing don't hurt as much as the confused fans, the people who've been with me from the start. I'm sad that I hurt them. I hate that I completely wrecked their view of me. I'm sorry about that, and I really hope one day I can make it up to all of them.

What would you like to say to your young fans?

Oh, wow... I have a lot to say, but I think that mostly I just wanna say that you should take the time to think about things before you do them. Please. It could save you so much trouble, and pain. And I in no way condone what I did at all, it was just a mistake, and we all make those... just be careful. And smart. And, uh, safe.

[end]

Chris told me it went well, Mom said she thought the same. I just felt sick, like nauseous, like the way I'd felt finding out about the baby. I held onto my stomach as I walked slowly away from Nyla, feeling like I was being swallowed whole by Hollywood, by interviews and articles and paparazzi.

They'd taken something from me that I would never get back, though I didn't quite know it yet.

----

A/N: is there anything specific yall wanna see? i'm trying to get a good idea of all the next chapters and like what moments i want to write so i was wondering if there was anything i was missing maybe. i can't promise i'd do it but if it fits with the story i'm planning, i'd love suggestions :)