47 * Tying Loose Ends

Chapter 47: Tying Loose Ends 

"Elliot?"

"I'm trying to study, Charlie."

"Liar. I need to ask you something."

He grunted. I took it as a yes. 

"Do you know Greyson's phone number?"

Silence. 

More deafening silence. 

"Why on earth do you need Greyson's phone number?"

I looked down at the paper in my hand. Yes, I wrote a script for this phone call--don't judge! I just had to make it sound convincing. "I know it sounds super sketchy--I know you don't like him, but I really just need to know his younger sister's number. I need to talk to her: She's upset and I have to console her before I ask her for this favour--so please? No one I know knows her number. I'm just going to text him!"

Even more silence. 

"Fine." He groaned, before hanging up. The number came through thirty seconds later with an ominous: If I find you're lying, I will kill you. 

My brand new phone as of this morning was just like my flip phone: just fancier was games. 

Okay, iPhones were pretty cool...

Love you too. I sent back, before raising the phone to my ear. Standing outside Bryton Psychiatric Practise, looking casual, I had a heavy backpack and a large frown. 

"Hello?" Greyson's voice gave me shivers. I swallowed, feeling sick. 

"It's Charlotte."

He didn't say anything. What was with the ominous silence in phone calls today?

Finally, he said: "What a lovely surprise. Shocked you had the nerve to call me, little Charlotte. Your brother gave you my number, did he?"

"You know why I'm calling you. Meet me at the north end of Bryton Bay. Alone."

"You're like a kitten trying to be threatening, but sure. Let's see what the kitten wants."

"I'm sure you'll want what I have."

"You're being Harlequin's little messenger, are you? Cute. Did you ever tell anyone about your little adventure last Saturday?"

"Whatever. See you at 5. I'm giving you five minutes after five to get there, or I'll leave."

"Feisty. See you soon, kitten."

I gagged, hanging up on the phone and pushing through into the psychiatric practise. The receptionist (I still didn't know her name?) smiled and nodded. "Go on up, she's ready."

My bag, heavier than usual, weighed me down as I walked up to Lena Moore's officer, careful to put my bag down carefully before sitting down on the couch. 

"So, a court case, huh?"

"Yeah...are you going to lecture me too?"

"I'm just the slightest bit offended that you never told me: I thought we were besties, Charlotte!"

I sighed, clasping my hands together. "Can I tell you something else, then? You can't tell anyone. Anyone." 

"I'm confined to patient confidentiality, remember." Lena spun her chair around and looked at me, concerned. 

"No one follows patient confidentiality."

"Your parents might not, but it's different when you're a doctor for the mind. Tell me, tell me."