Abuse {1}

Kayla's POV

I wake up and I quickly sit up on my cardboard mattress. Another day in paradise- am I right? Being homeless in winter is the worse time to be homeless and being a kid makes it even worse.

I rub my eyes gently and get up, knowing that I have to work quickly if I'm to find any food. I rummage through the bins and find a sandwich in its packet. This is a rare delight and I know that today will be a good day.

I eat it and throw the rubbish in the bin. But then the bullies walk up and fear fills me; I don't know why they bully me, they don't really give me much of a chance to ask. I try to run but they're all much faster than me and I slip on the icy pavement.

"Hey skank," I close my eyes, ready to get my punishment.

One of their fists connects with my face and I immediately feel the dull pain in my cheek. I know that will bruise for days.

"OI! LEAVE THAT GIRL ALONE! I'LL CALL THE POLICE!" someone shouts and the bullies sprint away, leaving me on the floor.

I shiver on the cold pavement seeing as it's winter and an icy frost has covered everything. As the people approach me I back away, frightened of what they will do.

"Please don't hurt me! Please," I say desperately and shield my face.

"We're not going to, don't worry. We need to get you to our flat before you freeze. What's your name?"

"Kayla Middleton," I speak clearly, not quite understanding why they want to help me.

The short one holds out his hand and my shakey hand reaches to hold it. He helps me up and he slings his arm over me, and the warmth of his body hits me. He puts a jacket around me, making me even warmer. I cuddle closer to him and I finally feel safe.

Joe's POV

She comes close to me and I hold her tightly until we get back to the flat. I don't know why she's on the street by herself or why she was being beaten up, but I do know that she needs our help.

I pass Caspar the keys to the flat since he lost his. He is really forgetful and is constantly losing his stuff. Caspar hasn't really spoken since we saw her and I can tell that he feels bad for her.

I like the fact that she trusts us already although she didn't really have much of a choice. If she stays on the streets she could catch a nasty cold- maybe even hypothermia.

As we enter the flat, I see her eyes widen and I can tell it's been a while since she's been inside a real home. Where are her parents? I have so many questions but I know that I can't bombard her with them.

All we can do right now is look after her.