Chapter F I V E

Once I crossed the boundary lines from my pack, I felt the connection cut off leaving an empty feeling in my chest. I rubbed my chest, my eyes down casting as I walked behind Avery who seemed so unaffected with my sudden reaction. It shouldn't bother me, right? Being part human and wolf, it seems that I am more human considering I am not shifting anytime soon. My mind started to wonder off into the 'what if' stage, like how would I look in wolf form, or would I even have a mate? The longing questions had me slowing in my steps, seeing Avery's feet within my eye vision.

"What's wrong?" His deep voice rumbles in the deathly silent forest.

"I..." my voice trailing off, pulling my eyes away from the ground to stare into his eyes, my mouth drying at how good he looked under the sunlight hitting from behind. "Nothing just tired from my running."

Avery said nothing in return, continuing on with his walking through the trees, leaves crunching under his feet and the sound of branches cracking from our weight when we step on them. I watched the way his back moved with his strides, confidence showing with the way they are postured. How could I become that confident with myself? Reaching out to grab a hold of his shirt to stop him, a gentle voice rings out freezing me in my spot, looking around Avery's tall frame seeing brunette hair whacking me in the face.

"Here I thought you died since you wouldn't answer any of our calls to you," The girl pulled back smiling at Avery with affection? The thought made my stomach coil inside me; of course he would have someone here. Maybe he was just so nice to me because I was crying.

"Oh? Who's this?" The beauty looks at me, her eyes shifting color to staying on hazel eyes. Almost as if her wolf was playful and curious to a new stranger in her area.

"I'm Ophelia," I beat Avery to introducing myself, holding my hand out for a hand shake which was dismissed. I let my hand drop back to my side, figuring it must be a werewolf thing that I wasn't aware off.

"She's just going to be staying here for a few days—"

"Did you even ask your father Av?"

"Yes, he is completely fine with it Lydia. Now are you done interrogating her? I need to make sure she eats and have a good night rest."

"Yeah, I'll see you later tonight." Lydia flashes him a coy smile before running off, shifting into a dark colored wolf.

"Sorry about her, she...we..."

"No need to explain Avery, we all have that one person who we can't let go. She seems like a nice girl."

Avery stared at me with no emotions in his eyes, almost as if he was trying to read me. His staring made me shuffle from side to side, avoiding his eye contact. He continued on walking toward a log cabin coming up, the smell of camp fire in the air had me feeling like I was at home. A man walked out of the cabin, his hair was covered with some grey hair in his black short trimmed cut hair style. As we walked closer, I noticed how much Avery and him looked a like but he has a gentle smile and welcoming aroma to him.

"You must be Ophelia, welcome." He pulled me into his arms, squeezing me tight. His cheek rubbing against mine affectionately.

"Dad, cool down on your welcome. Ophelia isn't use to this sort of thing," Avery butted in, his arms crossed over his chest.

"I apologize, it's natural for us wolves to greet each other and get a whiff to see if you're a threat or not." His father explained, patting the top of my head.

"It's okay; I guess I'm just the odd ball."

"No worries, I'm certain you'll enjoy your stay here for the time being. Avery, you can show her the room she'll be staying in and I have to go get your mother from the clinic."

Watching the man leave without another word our way, following Avery inside the cabin, it was homey. The place seemed so put together and welcoming, it made me jealous for how my house was back home. Thinking about my dad made me chew on my lower lip, guilt eating me for how I just left.

"So this will be your room, there is a bathroom over there and I'll have some clothes for you to change in along with pajamas brought over." Avery stood in the middle of the bedroom, watching me take everything in.

I touched the end of the bed, feeling how soft the covers were. "Thank you, for everything." I turned to face him, rubbing the side of my arm awkwardly.

Avery gave a nod of his head, leaving behind a closed door.

Hands were running along Avery's back, his face laying on the side of the pillow as his wolf inside him paced back and forth, paranoid of something he didn't want to admit to himself. Leaving Ophelia home at his parents was the safest bet for her right now, perhaps her father will teach her how to fight and become strong by herself. A smile tug at the corner of his lips, he knew she could do it, she was such a spit fire and it intrigued him to an extent. 

"The girl you're with, who is she?" Lydia's voice whispers into the night, continuing on massaging his back. 

"Why are you asking?" Avery turned his head and looked at her over his shoulder.

"I'm just...curious." Lydia wasn't going to admit that she was afraid she would lose Avery, to some human girl or at least she smelt like one. Knowing Avery since they were kids and growing up experimenting on their firsts together somehow had Lydia falling for the man below her, he knew her like she knew him. 

"You mean you're jealous," Avery corrected her, turning back against the pillow inhaling the faint scent of Ophelia stuck to his skin. 

"No, I just don't want you to get hurt. You're my best friend." Lydia slid off of Avery, sitting at the edge of his bed, combing her fingers through her waves. Worrying eating her from the inside out, perhaps she was jealous, but how couldn't she be? She was almost twenty five years old, her mate wasn't anywhere she looked or even went. 

Avery pulled Lydia into his arms, rubbing her back in comfort as he settled back into his bed, feeling Lydia shake in his arms, silently crying into his chest. This is what he hated most about being a werewolf, the constant bond to someone else out there, knowing that you are half a soul until you find someone known as your mate. Avery didn't believe in the term mates, never did, he wanted to find someone and love them without his wolf giving him the idea. 

"Is she your mate?" Lydia's voice is muffled against his chest, looking down he stared at the hazel eyes that were red from the tears that were leaking down her face. 

"I don't know," Avery answered truthfully, he had no clue what Ophelia was to him but he knew that he wanted to keep her safe and help her find some answers.