Chapter 10

It was hard for Newt to know where he stood with her. Only because she did not speak. He would not rush her though. When she was ready she would speak and it would be one of the most amazing things he had experienced.

It was official (between him and Minho) that he had a crush on her. It was hard to convey the affection without just jumping up and blurting out. Newt did not have a lot of experience with these things (he did not think that he did), but he had a hunch that they took care and time to be executed properly. Of course he could be wrong about what women wanted. It's not like he had an abundance examples. Hell, he only knew one.

It was hard to accept that she might not even return the feelings. When it was all said and done he was one in about fifty and she was the only one. He handled himself well though; he thought so at least. The playful comments of several of the other Gladers did not bother him. He was not exceptionally crazy about Gally though. He had warmed up to her being there way too quickly.

"Found you a job yet?" She had been there about a week now and she had tried most of them. There was only about two she seemed to enjoy. Not that she told him. He was basing this purely on the fact that she only seemed remotely happy after a long day at work a few times. Then again this was a life that took some getting used to. She would get it though. They all did.

She smiled and nodded. She cast her gaze towards Gally who was standing with a group of builders. Newt hoped that his smile looked genuine. Part of him was happy. He was glad that she was starting to get the hang of things. He was not crazy about the fact that she'd be spending so much time with Gally.

He knew that she would eventually find a job and thus her time would be primarily spent with a certain group of people. He would never want her to be a runner. It was a dangerous job unless you were cut out for it, or when first starting or if you weren't careful... bottom line was too many things could happen for him to be at ease. Being a builder though... he could live without that as well.

If he were being honest with himself, it was not the fact that Gally had warmed up to her, but it was the idea that she had warmed up to him as well. He felt threatened by Gally; especially now since they were to be spending their days together. At first Newt was the only one she really seemed at ease with. She laughed and smiled freely, but now that was changing. He knew it would happen, and deep down he knew it was happening with everyone. It just seemed so much easier to focus on Gally for some reason.

"That is just... That's brilliant."

She had not known Newt exceptionally long, but she could tell something was bothering him. It would be so much easier if she could just ask him. She did not know why she couldn't. Her lips parted slightly, but closed with a sigh. What was the big deal? It just came out with Gally and she was not even one hundred percent sure she liked him that much. Newt was different; she was not quite sure why yet... more accurately she was not quite sure she wanted to admit why yet. Her hand gravitated to his right forearm.

Her touch was like what Newt would imagine a ghost's would be like. It was so light he could barely feel it and sent a shiver across his body.

"Oh no! That's great! It really is. You just can't forget about yer ole pal Newt here."

She shot him a reassuring smile. That was just a silly thought. She hoped he was just kidding with her and did not really think she would be so quick to abandon him.

He was being silly. He would not let her forget about him. He could handle a little friendly competition (not that he thought she was a prize to be won). It had been so very long since he had been affected by something. Years since he had something he truly wanted. Something that was attainable and practically all consuming.

He wanted her company and to hear her voice. Hard labor was a part of everyday life in the Glade. He had no problem putting in a little time or effort. However much it took, he could handle it.

It was easy to become numb in a place like this. Easy to become adjusted to the darkness of this place. After a while you got used to it... content with it. But there was a small flicker of light now. Something that he had not had in a long time. Newt would do whatever it took to keep that faint glow. He had enough common sense to know that if there's a light... don't let it go out.