[ one ]

Tom complained the whole way. "He doesn't even like me. I feel like when he looks at me, he wants to shoot me." He explained as we exited out the elevator. I gave him a look.
"Shoot you?" I asked.
"Yeah, he's got this expression when he looks at me. It's whenever you pull me up beside you. He glares at me and grits his teeth." Tom added.
"It's probably because he wants you to influence me to end my little missions." I say. "That, or he thinks I'm dating you."
"Dating you?" Tom groaned. "Ah jeeze..." I stopped in the hallway and elbowed him in the side. It was then I heard a familiar voice out in a room. Through glass, I saw my dad talking to one of his partners. He seemed upset about something.
"... He's just sitting there on his ass all day!" Dad exclaimed, gesturing to one of the agents I knew got on his nerves. Agent Cowan sat at his computer with a headset on.
"Funny, Rhodes." Cowan said.
I saw Dad turn around before entering a room. "I love you." He sassily whispered to Cowan. Tom started chuckling.

"What the hell," I say. "He says 'I love you' to Cowan, but not me?" Tom gave me a look. I then grabbed his arm and entered the room where Dad was.
"I don't have time for this magic crap." Dad told his partner, Fuller.
"This crap just pulled three million out of a bank." Fuller replied.
"Three million?!" I exclaim. That was not a good idea considering every head in the room turned to me.
Dad gave me a look, and I did my best to look not-so-awkward. "The hell are you doing here?"
"Missed the bus." I reply cooly while letting go of Tom's arm.
"Now let's go catch another." Tom said, now grabbed my arm. His voice trembled, and only his eye contact was on me. I look to Dad to see he was glaring at Tom. Huh, I guess Tom was right.

All of a sudden, there was a voice behind me. A lady with blonde and a suit on was looking out the window, now focused on us. Tom kept pulling my arm, but I pulled it back.
"Who's she?" Dad asked Fuller. When Fuller didn't reply, Dad turned to her, "Who are you?"
"Alma Drey." She replied swiftly. Alma had an accent, and I recognized it as French. "Im working the investigation."
"Hi!" I say with my hand out. "I'm Daisy — " Tom and Dad pulled me back.
"You gotta be kidding me." Dad turned to Fuller. "It's bad enough they got me chasing down David Copperfield and friends now I'm being saddled with — no offense, with Interpol?"
"I look forward to working with you too, Agent Rhodes." Alma retorted.

"I'm sorry I don't think I'm gonna need your help on this. Okay?" Dad told her rudely. I glared at Dad, though he didn't see it. Tom leaned in towards me.
"I think we should go now." He whispered.
"I think we should stay." I retorted.
"He's gonna get mad." Tom said.
"So? I'm not leaving until I see the magicians." I reply.
"We're not here to learn lessons from them — God, I hope not! They just robbed bank!" Tom etched closer to the door.
"Well, you can leave if you want to." I told him. Tom then sighed as he walked back up next to me.

"Where's the French guy?" Dad asked Fuller.
"I already spoke to him." Alma said.
"Oh, you did?" Dad asked, sounding irritated. "You spoke to my witness before me?"
"Your witness? I thought you didn't want the case. Besides, he useless." Alma snapped calmly.
"Ooh." I whispered to Tom. Though, Dad and the agents turned around to me. I curled my lips in, acting like I never said anything.
"Oh, really? Why is that?" Dad asked.
"Because he believes their magic was real." Alma answered.
"Oh, he believes the magic was real? You're right he is probably useless. Is it okay with Interpol if we talk to him too?" Dad sassily asks. Alma nodded, smiling with irritation. "Thank you." Dad began to walk away with Fuller. I grabbed Tom's hand, ready to follow, but Tom pulled me back.

His face was fearful and he shook his head.
"Fine!" I whispered, "Stay here!" I turned around and threw my book bag to the floor in one swift motion. I then started to follow Dad, but he stopped me.
"Fuller, I'll meet you there." He then turned to me as Fuller left the room. "What the hell are you doing here? Can't you see I'm busy?"
"I missed the bus, so I figured I could just come here and hang out while you worked!" I say, giving off a small smile.
"Well you came at the wrong time." Dad said. "Stay here." He turned around and started walking towards the door.
"But I want to see the magicians!" I say, following him.
"Why?" He asked.
"Because I like magic." I say.
Good reason, stupid.
Dad gave me a judgmental look, lightly shook his head and turned around.