Chapter 3

When we arrived at the neighbor's red front door, the windows were open, so it was hard to miss all the clanking and shuffling sounds going on inside. Mom smiled at my sister and me, then I knocked. My hand was slick with sweat. Calm thoughts, Zoe.

The door opened and a young woman—maybe in her early thirties—stood in front of us. She had short blond hair, light-green eyes, and wore jeans with a short-sleeve shirt. Her appearance said "California," and she was the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen. Sidelle was pretty, but the lady in front of me screamed elegance—but with a hint of danger.

"Hello," Mom said, giving her the full, welcoming smile. "My name is Jackie. These are my daughters, Zoe and Stella. My husband, Kevin, is still at work." She signaled to the left. "We live in the yellow house next door. Welcome to the neighborhood!"

"Hi." The gorgeous woman smiled and shook our hands. "Sarah Mors. Come on in. Please excuse the mess. Just arrived today from California." She motioned for us to follow her into their living room, and we sat on their black leather couch. "Sit down. Make yourself comfortable."

"We brought this for you and your family." Mom handed her the platter. "Just return the plate whenever you get a chance."

"Thanks, Jackie. That's kind of you. And it looks delicious."

"Do you have kids?"

"No. It's just my brother and me." She turned to me. "You must be the young lady Aiden mentioned."

Aiden told her about me? I snapped my mouth shut.

"He's in his room unpacking. I told him he needed to get some of it done before school on Monday. Head on up if you want." She glanced at Mom. "Oh. If you would prefer she stay down here, I can go get him."

"Oh, no," Mom said sweetly, sounding nothing like herself. "If he's busy unpacking, Zoe can go upstairs."

I stared at her, speechless. Who was this lady sitting next to me? If I'd thought my mouth had hung open before, it was now on the floor. My mother had given me permission to go into a guy's room . . . alone. She smiled and nodded.

Okay, you don't have to tell me twice.

I headed for the staircase, leaving Stella to sit next to Mom.

"Last door on the left," Sarah said cheerfully.

"Thanks," I replied.

I could barely contain my excitement. I had to force myself to take one step at a time, when all I wanted to do was to run and pepper him with questions. At the top of the stairs, I drew in a deep breath then let it out before walking the short distance to the end of the hall. His door was open and I lingered in the hallway so I could watch him. He sat on the floor, unpacking boxes of movies and books.

Eventually I knocked on the doorframe, but he didn't look up from the stacks of boxes. I knocked a little harder, and this time, his head snapped up. His eyes locked with mine, and we stared at each other for a few moments.

He broke the silence. "Hello."

"Hi, Aiden. Your . . . your sister said I could come up here," I stammered.

"Sure." He motioned me in, his eyes intent on me. In that instant I experienced a strange, uncomfortable feeling. Like I was prey being stalked by a lion.

The previous owner had used this room for her quilting, sewing, and other projects. It looked very different now that it was Aiden's. He hadn't gotten far with unpacking. His bed was made, but most of his clothes still lay in opened boxes.