Chapter 18: Destiny Or Fate

Shai landed on the Temple of the gods and ran up the stairs frantically. Her head spinning from realizing her friend was not by her side.
    She grabbed her skirt and ran down the empty corridor heaving and panting. It was when she passed a pillar and almost reached the doors leading into the great hall that someone grabbed her arm and spun her around.
   "You!" She screamed coming face to face with Nephthys.
   "Sush! Child, calm down," the goddess ordered looking around.
    Shai looked behind her and her eyes widened, "what--where is Ametis?"
   "She's with Kha..."
   "What?! Lady Nephthys how could you?"
    Nephthys narrowed her eyes onto the girl, "how could I what?"
   "Just--just sell her off to your twisted son like that?" Shai clenched her hands and looked down at the floor, avoiding Nephthys's gaze. She was fuming.
    Nephthys laid a hand on her shoulder and with the other free one, she tilted Shai's chin upwards so she could face her.
   "I went there of my own choice. Why couldn't you both just stand your ground and wait till I returned and we sort out the entire situation? Anyway," Nephthys nodded slowly, "regarding the previous incident...I have to tell you something."
    Shai paused for a moment to lift her dark grey eyes over to meet Nephthys's own and she stared expectantly.
   "Do you think I will find anything regarding that situation between Ametis and Kah...intriguing?"
   "It is important that we try to understand each other, Shai. Only you and I inside these walls know what occurred between them. And I have a little—shall we say, an idea to propose...Care to indulge yourself?"
    Now, curiosity burning her skin and mind, Shai nodded without hesitation.
    Nephthys scanned the empty hallway and then leaned into Shai's ears. She whispered inaudibly; the words obviously had an impact on Shai. It was all in the series of facial expressions she was letting off.
    Shai finally nodded slowly—almost worryingly as she pulled away and stared back at Nephthys with huge eyes.
   "Lady Nephthys, what you are proposing is...highly risky. We could easily throw off the balance of fate."
    Nephthys looked into her eyes with a smile and nodded, "and you are fate. Try to tell me otherwise—that you and I knowing this secret was just a coincidence. Fate herself and the mother of Kha."
   "You want to manipulate destiny!"
   "No. I want to see what destiny and fate can do, don't you?"
    Shai looked away, "it still can't happen and you know that. There is a difference between just destiny and written destiny."
   "I know, maiden Shai," replied the other goddess frowning slightly.
   "They both have their prophecies written and just like mortals to death, they cannot cheat or escape it," Shai whispered in a deathly sweet voice.
   "At least let us see in a few days."
   "Of course, we'll see."
    Silence.
   "See what?" Comes a new voice and both goddesses turn around to see, walking towards them in slow strides is Hathor.
    Shai immediately lets out a quiet gasp and twist her head left to look at Nephthys.
   "See what?" Hathor repeats again, now standing right in front of them both with her eyes in a tight squint.
    Nephthys chuckled lightly and wraps her delicate hand around Shai's left arm. She nudges slightly and Shai responds with a sweet smile at Hathor.
   "Who did you send to the afterlife?" Joked Hathor looking at their expressions.
    While Nephthys looked genuinely happy to see her--Shai not so much. What with the wandering eyes, widening awkward smile and unstable posture.
   "Oh no Hathor, we were just talking about the fields," replied Nephthys.
    Hathor folded her arms with a tight frown, "fields--what fields?"
   "Rice fields--haven't you seen?" Begins Shai uncomfortably, "the crops are getting attacked with swarms of locusts."
   "Isis would never have let that happen!"
   "What with the war--maybe she forgot?"
    Hathor nodded and then walked passed them towards the gigantic doors, but just as they automatically opened from the inside, she paused once more and turned around.
    Hathor raised her eyebrows looking at the two goddesses, "by Ra has anyone seen Ametis."
   "She went to see the enemy borderlines with...a general." Shai mouthed off before Nephthys could even approve of her answer.
  "She did?" Nephthys broke in with a horrified look. "Oh I do hope she will be okay."
    Beside her Shai eyed her with a confusingly.
   "Don't worry yourself Nephthys. Ametis will be alright," smiled Hathor as she nodded and disappeared into the hall with the doors closing behind her.
   "I cannot believe you twisted me to the very point I had to lie to the Queen herself!" Shai hissed.
    Rolling her eyes, Nephthys slightly shrugged. "You did fine."
   "What if you turn out to be wrong, alright? What if this was a mistake--to leave Ametis with Kha? He could kill her!"
   "But he will refrain from doing so."
   "He could."
   "No."
    Throwing her hands onto her face, Shai let out a frustrated groan and fell to her knees. This was going to be so impossible to deal with. She may be a minor deity but she was important especially to balance out the paths of mortals and immortals.
   "What do I do? What do I do? What do I do? What d—" Shai broke of her quiet murmurs as she felt a hand on her shoulder. She glanced up to see Nephthys smiling at her with raised eyebrows.
   "We do nothing," the goddess corrected her calmly. "If it is and will be as you said—that they both have tempered with fate, we do nothing but observe as fate rewrites itself."
   "Some things will worsen as others get better; that is the price with rewriting fate."
    Nephthys pulled Shai to her feet and wrapped an arm around her as they turned and glanced from under the shelter of the great temple at the night sky.
    Stars danced across the skies and sliver streaks ran across the blackness of the blanket that was night.
    Shai sighed as she continued watching the beautiful scenery.
   "Will she be alright?" She asked closing her eyes.
   "Kha promised me on his father's name and he would never break a promise sealed by Set's name."

Please vote and share your thoughts by commenting.

Love Y'all Beautiful &Handsome Nile Dieties 💙❤💙❤💙❤💙❤💙❤💙❤💙❤
-Love L