Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Pamela's reverie was interrupted by the ring of the telephone. It was Jane Marie, speaking in an anxious whisper.

"Dr. Barnes," she squeaked. "Are you alone?"

"Yes," replied Pamela, suddenly intent on her receiver. "What's up?"

"I didn't know if I should call you, but I'm worried about Dr. Marks. He's been in his office for almost an hour with the door shut."

"Jane Marie," said Pamela, thinking that Jane Marie's concern was probably misplaced, "that doesn't sound like anything to worry about."

"Yes," she said, "but not after what just happened." Pamela was puzzled. It was not like Jane Marie to cry wolf.

"What just happened?"

"That woman was here," she announced, in her whispered voice.

"What woman?"

"That Evelyn Carrier. You know, the one in the photograph. She showed up several hours ago and asked to see Dr. Marks. When he saw her, he looked startled. He invited her back into his office and I didn't hear a peep out of them for a good hour. I almost called you then, but I was afraid to. Then she left and he went back in his office and closed the door. I'll have to hang up if he comes out."

Pamela was intrigued. The mystery woman had made an appearance.

"When did she leave? Did she say anything?" she quizzed Jane Marie, "What did he say to you? Anything?"

"No, and Dr. Barnes, when she left, I could swear she was crying. Her face was red; her eyes were tear-stained. You know, it looked like she'd been crying. Dr. Marks just sort of said a quick good-bye and then excused himself and shut his door and I haven't heard anything from him since. I tell you, I'm worried. What if this is connected to Dr. Clark's death? I mean, what if--what if--this woman killed Dr. Clark? Do you think she could have threatened Dr. Marks?"

"Jane Marie," said Pamela, in her most reassuring voice, "I think it's highly unlikely that any of this is connected to Dr. Clark's death. If this woman-this Evelyn Carrier were at all involved, I'm sure Dr. Marks would have contacted the police. But, just so you know, I did mention her-and the photo and the big fight--to Detective Shoop yesterday, just in case."

"What did he say?" asked Jane Marie.

"Not surprisingly--nothing," she answered, "I guess that's the detective's motto: ask questions-don't give answers. But, Jane Marie, don't worry about Mitchell. He can take care of himself." Pamela said this, but she herself wasn't totally convinced. She wished she could have seen this Evelyn Carrier or been a fly on the wall during her meeting with Mitchell Marks.

"I've got to go, Dr. Barnes," said Jane Marie, "He may come out any time and I don't want him to catch me gossiping on the phone. I'll see you at the memorial on Sunday, okay?"

"Sure," Pamela answered, but the departmental secretary had already hung up.

Pamela looked at her watch. It was past 4:30 p.m. and if she was going to get Arliss from the animal lab and drive the two of them to Who-Who's by five, she'd probably better get going. There was just one thing she wanted to check on her computer before she left. She clicked onto Google Scholar and typed in "John Pierce Culver," Nothing. Mr. Culver may have written a dissertation of interest to Charlotte, she thought, but he obviously hadn't produced anything of enough importance to have been picked up by Google's academic search engine. This only meant that Culver never published anything in any reputable journal. So, what was Charlotte doing reading his dissertation the night she was murdered? It was probably not related to her death at all. She closed down her computer and headed out. Joan and Willard had already left, as had most faculty members. It was, after all, late on a Friday afternoon.