Chapter 5

The next morning I woke up to a strange feeling; like I was well rested but there was an underlying ache to my whole body. It takes me a minute, but I realise that I'm not in my bed at home. Right, West Coast Harbour... I was jet lagged, which explains the aching muscles.

I walk towards the full length mirror next to my bed and look at myself. I'm wearing pajama bottoms and a loose t-shirt. My chestnut brown hair is a mop of frizzy knots on the top of my head and my grey eyes are dazed from sleep.

I'm not someone who'd starve herself to look good, but I'm also definitely not they type to lie around and grow fat. I do a solid hour of physical exercise everyday, whether it's going out for a run or doing an indoor workout. I love doing it and the results definitely show.

Excitement bubbles up within me at the thought of spending my day at the beach and I run to get dressed like a little kid.

##

After an extremely unhealthy breakfast- courtesy of Aunt Becky; Steve, Taylor and I make our way to the beach with the sun beating down on us.

It was a picturesque view, the deep blues of the sea in stark contrast to the green palm trees scattered on the beach. The stretch of sand was totally empty and a gentle breeze was blowing. I could feel the spray of salt water as we got closer to the water.

The water was shockingly cold, making me shiver slightly. We splashed around for a bit, getting used to the frigid temperature of the water. I stared out to the horizon, marvelling at the calmness of the ocean.

Next thing I knew I was gasping for air, feeling a little woozy from being dunked in the water. "Steve!" I screeched, chasing him around and jumping on his back, dragging him underwater with me.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" He choked, trying but failing to hold in his laughter.

After we calmed down, we swam for a while, then decided to lounge on the sand and warm ourselves up. Taylor forgot her towel at the house, so she ran off to get it.

"So? Do you like it here?"

Yes! I love it!" I said. "You have to show me around though," I added. I hadn't seen anything of this town except for Aunt Becky's house and the beach.

"Sure! We'll go tomorrow. I'll take you to all the best hangout spots," he grinned then, " and the best places to go with your boyfriend so you don't get spotted," he playfully winked at me.

"Har har." I shot him a dry expression, but he just snickered back at me.

"We're glad to have you here Roxy, we're going to have so much fun!" Steve seemed so genuinely excited to spend time with me, and I had never seen anyone except Taylor so excited before. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

"That means a lot to me, Steve. Thank you." I smiled at him. It really did mean a lot to me. I was afraid that he and Aunt Becky thought I was imposing on them and that maybe they just agreed to us staying with them out of courtesy.

"No problem, Roxy."

Just then Taylor ran up to us, huffing and puffing, towel in hand.

"Geez you're so fat," I say at the same time that Steve says, "It's not that far," and we grinned, high giving each other. Taylor just rolled her eyes at us, used to my silly antics, and Steve's apparently.