Chapter 21

Dr. Greene is tall, blond, and immaculate, dressed in a royal blue suit.. Her long hair is swept up in an elegant chignon. She must be in her early forties.

“Mr. Hemmings.” She shakes Luke’s outstretched hand.

“Thanks for coming on such a short notice,” Luke says.

“Thank you for making it worth my while, Mr. Hemmings. Miss Adams.” She smiles, her eyes cool and assessing.

We shake hands, and I know she’s one of those women who doesn’t tolerate fools.  I like her immediately. She gives Luke a pointed stare, and after an awkward beat, he takes his cue.

“I’ll be downstairs,” he mutters, and he leaves what will be my bedroom.

“Well Miss Adams. Mr. Hemmings is paying me a small fortune to attend to you. What can I do for you?”

After a thorough examination and lengthy discussion, Dr. Greene and I decide on the mini pill. Dr. Greene said I must speak with my mother before taking it. She writes me a pre-paid prescription and instructs me to pick them up tomorrow. I love her no-nonsense attitude – she has lectured me until she’s as blue as her dress about taking it at the same time every day. I can tell she’s burning with curiosity about my so-called relationship with Luke. I don’t give her any details. Somehow I don’t think she’d look so calm and collected if she’d seen his Red Room of Pain. I flush as we pass its closed door and head back downstairs to Luke’s living room.

Luke is listening to music, seated on his couch. He turns and glances at us when we enter and smiles warmly at me.

“Are you done?” he asks as if he’s genuinely interested.  Standing, he strolls towards us.

“Yes, Mr. Hemmings. Look after her; she’s a beautiful, bright young girl.”

Luke is taken back – as am I. What an inappropriate thing for a doctor to say. Is she giving him some kind of not so subtle warning? Luke recovers himself.

“I fully intend to,” he mutters.

Gazing at him, I shrug, embarrassed.

“I’ll send you my bill,” she says crisply as she shakes his hand.

“Good day, and good luck to you, Aubrey.” She smiles, her eyes crinkling as she does when we shake hands.

Mark appears from nowhere to escort her through the double doors and out to the elevator. How does he do that? Where does he lurk?

“How was that?” Luke asks.

“It went well. She said that I had to abstain from sexual activity for the next four weeks though.”

Luke’s mouth drops open in shock, and I cannot keep a straight face any longer and grin at him like an idiot. “Gotcha!”

He narrows his blue eyes, and I immediately stop laughing. In fact, he looks rather forbidding. Oh shit. All the blood drains from my face, and I imagine him putting me across his knee again.

“Gotcha!” Luke smirks. He grabs me around my waist and pulls me up against him.  “As much as I’d like to take you here, now, you need to eat and so do I. I don’t want you passing out on me later.”

“Is that all you want me for – my body?” I whisper.

“That and your smart mouth,” he breathes.

Luke releases me, taking my hand and leading me to the kitchen. I am reeling. One minute we’re joking and the next… I fan my heated face. He’s just sex on legs, and now I have to recover my equilibrium and eat something.

The breakfast bar is laid for two; Luke takes a salad bowl from the fridge. “Chicken caesar salad cool with you?”