Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter 26

The Field Museum sits on a large campus. There are pedestrian avenues and statues and it all overlooks Lake Michigan. Despite its size, the Field Museum is not the most imposing structure on the campus. Directly behind the massive museum stands Soldier Field, home of the Chicago Bears. There are two other buildings on the campus as well; one is Shedd's Aquarium, the other is the Adler Planetarium.

As a child, I had loved visiting the museum and the aquarium. As an adult, I had visited all four buildings. Plus, I had spent countless hours sitting on the benches that lined the avenues. I had spent time wandering the park and staring off into the distance, watching the waves lap at the breakwaters.

I did this now. I stood on the shore of Lake Michigan and stared out across the span. Of course, I was facing the wrong direction, so I could see the shore on the other side of the inlet. It was still beautiful. It was still amazing to watch the sun's brilliant reflection off the gently moving water. I stood until Lucas shook me from my water-enthralled trance.

Turning away from the lake with a feeling of doom and gloom falling over me, I followed Lucas up the stone steps. We again announced ourselves at the entrance gates. A different docent called for Dr. Samuels.

Dr. Sam Samuels again greeted us. He weaved through the corridors, back into the offices. The offices and research spaces are created in a tomb like maze. Even Perseus would have had trouble navigating it. There were so many right and left turns, that I almost lost my direction.

Finally, we stopped outside a door marked "Dr. Baker - Military Historian for the 20th Century". Dr. Samuels rapped his knuckles against the door just once. It was opened by Dr. Baker.

"Hello again, Dr. Cain." He frowned at me.

"Dr. Baker, this is Dr. Lucas McMichaels, he's a psychologist with our unit."

"Um, I'm not sure how I can help." Dr. Baker began to sweat visibly.

"I'm just interested in hearing some other expert opinions on torture and being a military historian for the 20th century, you should have some very valuable information." Lucas smiled at him.

"How do you mean?" He hadn't invited us in or even opened the door all the way.

"Well, the 20th century was full of violent wars where torture was pretty common." I answered.

"Oh, well," Dr. Baker stepped into the hall, closing the door behind him.

"Dr. Baker?" Lucas asked him, "this is probably a conversation best held behind closed doors."

"It's just that I have..." He began to stammer.

For a second, I didn't realize he had done it. He slammed his shoulder into Dr. Samuels and rushed past me. He ducked around a corner and disappeared.

"Dr. Samuels?" I asked checking on him.

"Fine," Dr. Samuels waved me away as he stood back up.

Lucas was already chasing after him. I went after them, unsure where they had gone. The labyrinth seemed to be worse, as I dashed down hallways and passed doors with people attempting to file out them.

A door marked "exit" appeared near me. I hit it at a full run and slipped as I entered the lobby. I fell on my butt as my feet went out from under me. However, Lucas was only a few feet ahead of me. Dr. Baker was only a few feet ahead of him.

As I got up, Dr. Baker ran out the front exit. Lucas sprinted after him. I pulled out my badge and began shouting as I entered a bottleneck at the exits.