The better man

The better man

By: Amilia Padfoot

Disclaimer: I own nutting, nutting I tell you! Just the idea for the story.

Summary: A case of déjà vu proves an important point for Harry. Next Gen.

A/N: While writing my story 'Birthdays' I had to read the chapter 'the worst birthday' several times, so I wrote this. I recommend you read the chapter first or at least after you read this. Will the past repeat itself?

All thanks to DramionePerfected!!!

Not for the first time, an argument had broken out over breakfast at Potter cottage. Albus Severus Potter had been rudely awakened by the very strange feeling of something rather small and furry creeping up his leg. On further investigation, he had looked under the sheets only to find a tiny white mouse nibbling away at the hem of his pyjama bottoms. Soon enough, the rest of the house had been woken to an ear-splitting scream of 'LILY!'

"It's the third time this week, Dad! Can't you tell her to control it?" Albus complained. Before Harry could reply Lily piped up, her chocolate brown eyes glinting fiercely, a look he had often seen on his wife.

"She's bored! If only I could let her out of her cage" she huffed, crossing her arms over her chest defiantly. Harry opened his mouth to reply but closed it again as an odd feeling of deja vu overwhelmed him. Shaking the feeling off, he met his daughter's fiery gaze.

"Lily, don't be like that. You know we haven't got a problem with you taking Lucile out of her cage. I'm not asking you to keep her locked up, that's just cruel." He paused, remembering his beloved Hedwig for a moment. "I'm only asking you to keep her away from Al's bedroom. You know he doesn't get on with her." He reasoned calmly, before giving said son a small smile. Albus didn't return the smile.

"Well, neither would you if it was crawling up your leg at five in the morning." Albus grumbled. "I swear it's out to get me. The thing's evil, I tell you!" He directed the last at his sister.

Lily glared at her brother and was about the retort furiously but her words were lost when her elder brother, James, chose that moment to burp - loudly. James blushed slightly at the looks he was getting; Albus snickered while Lily looked faintly disgusted. His dad raised an eye-brow at him.

"Um...Pardon me?" He asked innocently.

"I should think so too!" Ginny scolded him, a small smile tugging at her lips. Harry could tell she was resisting an eye-roll.

"Hey mum," Al asked suddenly, "May I have some more bacon please?"

"There's more in the frying pan love." She told him before eyeing her son up, "You really are far too skinny, Al, dear. What happened to all those feasts at school?"

"James ate it all" Albus replied smoothly, shooting James a cheeky look while Lily snorted. James tried to look indignant but it was proving a hard task as his mouth was currently stuffed with food; he settled on shrugging instead, reaching for another bread roll and began to butter it.

"I'm sure they feed him fine, Gin. It's just genes." Harry reassured her, trying not to laugh at his kids antics. Ginny turned her gaze on her husband who, in her opinion, was far too skinny too. Harry grinned at her sheepishly, knowing what she was thinking; she glared at him in return.

"And you, mister, you should be setting them a better example." she told him, poking him in the ribs.

"I eat plenty" he huffed, indignantly. "I just have a high metabolism" Ginny rolled her eyes at the excuse but her eyes were softened and she reached under the table and put a hand on his leg comfortingly. She knew why he couldn't eat much. 'Stupid relatives' she cursed silently. "Though you do get enough, don't you, Al?" Harry turned to his second son, slight concern in his voice. Albus was quick to reassure him with a nod and a grin before turning to his sister.