five

THE DECEASED
five | ❝if I die, I'm gonna kill you❞

"YOU OKAY?" GLENN ASKED AURORA, as she stepped over a large piece of rubble, trying not to loose her balance. She forced a smile, despite feeling claustrophobic in the small space. The smell was the worst part, but then again, it was debatable, because the murky water splashing beneath their feet was a contributing factor as to why Aurora was struggling not throwing up.

"Yeah. It just really stinks down here," she muttered, gagging as a large pile of rubbish floated by. A large grey rat scurried past Glenn, causing him to jump back, splashing water at Aurora. She almost lost her balance, but grabbed onto Glenn last minute. He chuckled, helping her back up.

"Really, Glenn?" Aurora asked, tutting as she brushed the water from her clothes, "you fight walkers, yet a tiny rat scared you?"

"In my defence, it was huge," Glenn protested, raising his eyebrows. Aurora felt her cheeks burning as she smiled brightly.

"Is that a grate?" Aurora asked after a while, pointing to a set of bars at the end of the tunnel. Glenn nodded, his eyes wide with relief. Light was shining through the small array of bars, indicating a possible way out. Aurora was thankful for this, as now they could finally leave the unforgiving darkness of the sewer.

"Do you think we could cut through it?" Glenn questioned, rattling the bars. Aurora thought for a few moments, biting her inner cheek as she pushed herself against the grate.

"I'm not sure. I think we'd need a blowtorch," she shrugged. A walker appeared from one side of the grate, eating a rat. It hadn't noticed them until Glenn jumped back out of habit, splashing the little water by their ankles. It turned its head towards them before snarling, attempting to grab Aurora from through the bar.

Aurora rolled her eyes, unclipping her knife from her belt. She was about to kill the threat, given it was an easy target, but Glenn stopped her. Scowling, Aurora lowered her knife, still staring at the walker. She wasn't scared of them in the way that Glenn was. When he stumbled towards them, Aurora didn't flinch. She simply pursed her lips, thinking about how easy it would be to bring her knife through its skull.

"Hello? Earth to Princess Aurora?" Glenn asked, waving a hand in front of her face. Aurora blinked several times, wondering what had happened when she realised she had dazed out of reality.

"Huh?" Aurora questioned, now looking around the dark sewer. She hurried towards Glenn who was already making his way back to the rest of the group, the faint sound of the walker behind them quietening,

"Princess Aurora," Glenn repeated, scratching the back of his head, "I mean, I assume that's where you got your name from."

Aurora laughed heartily, memories of her life before the apocalypse flooding back. "Yeah, kind of. No-ones called me 'Princess Aurora' for a while though. My Dad-" her voice trailed off.

In the short while that Aurora had met Glenn, she felt like she had known him for ages. They had a similar humour, which was comforting, given that she hadn't laughed this hard in God knows how long.

Glenn let Aurora climb out of the manhole first when they came to it, and once she reached the top of the ladder, she was met with Jacqui. Her face was pale with fear, and Aurora mentally prepared herself for the worst case scenario.