Discovered

Consciousness returned slowly, everything feeling dreamlike. My skin was hot, itchy; where my body met the sand cool, and very embedded. A sound, like jingling, made me wonder if my ears were ringing. I wanted to put my hand up to my ear, see if I was having a problem.

Something licked my calf.

A scream stuck in my throat and I jumped, clawing at the sand to get away from whatever was going to eat me. I twisted, my bare butt on the sand telling me I had no shorts, and no underwear on. I looked wildly about, my hand and arm up in front of my face to protect myself.

The dog sat, cocked his head, and whined.

I stared at him, my arm slowly lowering, raising it again when he came to snuff at my feet. He whined again, his head lowered. He licked at my toe and sat up on his haunches, expectant. I put my hand out, my fingers shaking, but extended so he could sniff me. He responded instantly, sniffing and licking, then butting his head on my hand to be petted. I stroked his golden fur, a sob pressuring to break free that I withheld. The dog snuggled up to me, wiggling his way into my lap. I closed my eyes and hugged him tightly to me, swallowing my grief as I clung to his fur.

A minute or two had passed before I finally let him go, letting him do his doggy thing by sniffing at the sand around me. It took me a minute before I was able to lift myself up and stand, swaying and sick at first. I put a hand over my eyes to shield them from the sun and looked out at the ocean, sparkling blue and cheerful as it's waves rolled up to the white sand.

I shivered, goosebumps erupting over my skin.

The dog paused beside me, looking out at the waves with me. I scanned the beach, aware that my underwear was gone and that I had to find something, hopefully my clothes, before I could do anything else. A snort from the dog had me looking down, wondering what he was doing.

He barked, startling me and making me take a step back. I put a finger to my lips, shushing him, but he ignored me and began barking incessantly. I wiped at my forehead, unsure what to do, and looked out at the beach again, then back at the dog. He looked down the stretch of beach, barking once more, then froze, sitting stock still. I wondered if he was done, waiting while he sat and stared out at nothing. I reluctantly returned my gaze to the shore, scanning for a splotch of white or jean blue so I could cover myself. My eyes froze to one spot when a whistle pierced the air, high pitched and distant sounding, unmistakably human.

"Max! Come here boy! Where are you?!"

The dog took off down the beach, sand scattering every which way. I darted my eyes toward the ocean, cringing, then spun to face the only other cover to be had, the dark green palms and foliage that rose up at the edge of the beach.

I crouched and ran, pulling my t shirt down as far as I could and entering the tangled growth before I could be seen.