TWENTY- NINE

TWENTY-NINE

I heard the faint knock on the front door just as I came out the bathroom, patting my face with a dry towel. At the sound of the next knock, I froze, finally registering properly that someone was knocking on the door. Unsure of who it was and why they would knock at such ungodly hour, I quickly tiptoed to the bedroom and snatched my phone off the desk.

It was just past twelve in the night, and I was just about ready to head to bed. I had gotten rid of every speck of make up on my face, showered at eleven in the night, did some laundry and finally went back again into the bathroom and washed my face again.

I dragged both my feet slowly out in the hallway until I stopped by the head of the stairs. From here, I could only see half of the door so I carefully took a few steps down, inwardly praying that whoever was outside would be gone now.

The instant knock that came after my prayer was like a small kick in the gut. Damn, why wouldn't they just leave?

I decided to wait it out because no sane person would open the door at this time. I slowly lowered myself on the top of the stairs, pulling my knee's close under my chin as my eyes peered at the door- as though they could see right through it.

The next few knocks at the door where much harder and louder, and I could tell the person outside was getting impatient and sounded like they were not about to leave. I pushed myself up off the stairs and tip toed down sluggishly.

When I came at the door, another knock followed, this one making the door itself vibrate at the force of it. "Seriously?" I muttered under my breath.

I was not going to open the door. I was simply going to look through the peephole and then run back and crawl under my bed covers.

My eyes looked through the small hole and the guy knocking at the door was facing away from me, their hands on their head. From the small vision I had, I could see that he was wearing a white dress shirt and dark jeans.

He turned around and I literally felt my lungs catching their breath.

"Are you kidding me?" I gasped out loud, not thinking twice as I wrenched the door open.

"Are you actually kidding me?" I repeated loudly, coming face to face to his raised fist getting ready to knock on the door again.

"Finally." Link exclaimed, his face telling me everything I already knew. He was pretty damn frustrated. "Why did it take you so long to open the door?" He asked.

I raised my eyebrows at him, wondering if he was dead serious. "You seriously thought I'd open the door after midnight?"

Link frowned at my response. "You look through the peephole and see who is there." He said as though I was dense to not do so.

If I wasn't so tired of everything I would have had spat out my usual remarks. Instead, I let out a sigh. "What you doing here at this time? Palmer is already fast asleep." I told him.

Link shook his head. "Don't act like you don't know why I'm here."

I braced myself for what was about to come. "You here for what then?"

Link ran his hands through his short hair, taking his time to carefully say whatever he had to say. "I got caught up."

I smiled at him, although to every eye it was clearly a fake smile. "Understandably." I replied back.