There was a time

Okay, my life wasn't glamorous...but it was nice.

I was about 7 when he first came. A shadow over the night crossing against the moon like a spirit. The first time I saw him, I was in my bed trying hard to sleep. A cool breeze came through my window almost soothing me to sleep, just enough to put me in a daze. Before I saw the shadow.

The next morning my caretaker woke all the children for breakfast. I was the strange one, the one everyone picked on. One of the other girls always found time to snap a snarky remark about how I was a freak or a dreamer. Today the one-liner was "when are you going to grow up"? I never took her remarks seriously, but this time it was personal. Without showing tears I quickly walked out of the London orphanage building.

The only place I could truly think was the old theatre across the street. My caretakers didn't care where we went or what we did. We were just a piece of meat to them. I like to go every day after breakfast. No one sees me and I can be alone. That day he came to the theatre.I didn't see him at first when I saw him I just pretended that I didn't and started dancing. "Is it just me or are you the best dancer I have ever seen " his voice was sweet and kind, each word was warm. To each conversation, there must be some silence, for a couple seconds we were silent. The horn of an automobile sounded, striking us back into our conscious selves. As soon as we snapped from the trance I giggled, he started laughing uncontrollably and I  joined in.

The first of the best laughs began that day, unlike all great things they must end sometime or another. The bells on the clocktower sounded, indicating that it was 7:00 pm I had to go back to the orphanage or the caretakers would've belted me. " I'm very sorry, but I must go. Maybe we can talk tomorrow?" I asked. He nodded his head to the right a tad and said "sure... maybe" as I hard those words the entire day was turned to sunshine and daisies. I walked back across the street to the orphanage. No one noticed as I entered the building. I had dinner then it was straight to bed.