Part 20

I never did get to see Pete's house. It was for the best. At least, that was what I'd kept telling myself that night. Instead of spending the night in each other's arms, celebrating our success, we spent it at police headquarters. Soon after we stepped foot into the building, Pete handed me over to a female rookie who had taken my statement while he disappeared into the chief's office.

Early the next morning, I heard that Blakely had confessed to everything, including poisoning me. I guess he saw firsthand how determined I was to find out what was happening to the missing women, and he got nervous. That was why he'd been so accommodating in providing me with water. And it also explained why he showed up every day to question me even though my story never changed.

The women he had kidnapped were safely recovered, though most of the men responsible for this particular sex trade operation escaped the island before the net could close around them. At least, most of the Vietnamese girls that they had brought to Hawaii were also freed and handed over to an organization that helps young women recover from the horrors of forced servitude.

The biggest injustice, at least in my mind, is that there was no huge round up of the men who frequented this thriving black market industry. But that is another matter that I could go on and on about.

At least, for now, a few women were saved. And life on the islands went on, though a few things have changed.

Sally Porter soon took over my room and my role as maid at Mamma Jo's. Mamma Jo quickly discovered that Sally was much better at negotiating than I ever was. In addition to getting a room for her services, Mamma Jo is paying her a rather impressive salary. I think Sally is going to do well for herself.

Anna and Tina, on the other hand, still had some growing up to do before they'd be in a position to make it on their own. Tina was frightened from her ordeal, but Pete had been right. She escaped captivity unharmed. She was lucky. And I told her that several times as I rode with her and her sister to the airport where I gave them both crushing hugs before watching them board the plane that would take them back to their parents. Tears had flooded my eyes as I watched the plane take off, and I was close to calling my own parents. I hadn't spoken with them in well over a year—not since I'd been shot and Pete had called them without my knowledge.

They hadn't been thrilled to hear about how I'd been spending my time the last time I'd talked with them. Since nothing really had changed since then, they probably wouldn't appreciate a call from me now. I did grab a postcard at the airport gift shop, though, one with a beautiful hula dancer with the crystal blue ocean and a rainbow in the background. I scrawled on the back how much I loved them and dropped the postcard into the mail on the way back to Mamma Jo's.

Sadly, Mr. Fu had been telling the truth about his failing health. He didn't live much longer than a week after that odd meeting with him. I recently heard a rumor that three of his chosen women are pregnant with his child, and that another one is still trying. Apparently, Mr. Fu had been stockpiling sperm for years.

Murders in the Mr. Fu hierarchy rose dramatically for a short time after his death. But that soon settled. Despite Mr. Fu's absence, nothing seemed to change at the Fu household. The money, power, and that dangerous mystique are still there. All waiting for his heir, I suppose.

I'm still not convinced he didn't order my death, but since he's no longer around to defend himself, I've been feeling more inclined toward forgiveness than I normally would.

And Pete...

Pete.

We still haven't talked about that night in my hotel room. I suppose we never will. Things between us have become even more difficult ever since the chief of police, much to Pete's chagrin, called me an asset to the community, paid my way into the police academy and is paying me a small stipend to boot. I'm not sure that I'm cut out for the police force, but I decided not to give up too quickly. Tormenting Pete is a huge incentive to stay.

I've consulted on a few cases, with Pete begrudgingly acting as my supervisor. He still insists that I needlessly put myself in danger. I tell him that he's wrong.

As a compromise, though, I've moved into a high security apartment building Pete personally selected. Though he pays the rent, he's never stepped foot inside the apartment. Not that I haven't repeatedly invited him.

It's for the best, I keep telling myself. But who am I fooling? Things will never change. I still love him. And in his own way, he loves me back.

All in all, life goes on in paradise.