1- Cherry on Top

5... 6... 7... 8...

The music blared through my headphones as I moved the flag in my hand to the beat.

I slid in to the kitchen while still twirling the flag and moving my feet.

Left... Left... Right...

"Watch where your going Emma, I could've burnt you," said my mom who was currently draining the pasta. Pulling my headphones out reluctantly, I set the flag down on the counter. "Sorry, but I NEED to practice. I have tryouts tomorrow, remember?," I somewhat nicely reminded her. "How could I forget, that's all you ever talk about."

Ignoring her sarcastic comment, I made my way upstairs into my room. Stopping in front of my closet, I smiled. I get to pick my tryout outfit. After much negotiating with myself, I finally decided on leggings and a navy close-fitting shirt plus my ballet shoes which were a little worn from the dance summer camps I attended.

I put so much work into this tryout, I have to make it. All that hard work would go to waste.

"Dinner!," my mom's voice yelled through out the house. I twisted my brown hair into a bun and headed downstairs after my younger sister and father.

~•~

Beep... Beep... Beep...

My alarm clock goes off and I groan as I roll over and hit it. Off the counter.

Great....

I stand up out of bed making my way around fragments of the clock and downstairs. Pulling out a box of lucky charms, I feel really nervous yet happy at the same time. Today is tryouts!

I wolf down my cereal leaving the bowl in the sink and rush upstairs. I pull on skinny jeans with much trouble, and throw a mint peplum top on. I pull my hair in a high ponytail and top it with white ribbon to finish it off.

Honk! Honk!

I check my makeup before grabbing my backpack, flag, and sports bag full of clothes and wraps and making my way outside.

"Good morning my gorgeous friends!," I said as I slipped into the passenger seat.

"Look whose talking," said Esther who started to pull out of my driveway. "Lauren, do you know what day it is?," I asked her.

"Tryout day!," she yelled as she let her flag flow out of the top of Esther's car. "Don't get me in trouble with that flag of yours," Esther said gesturing to the police car on the corner. It was a little unusual for Esther to be so worried, she was usually the reckless one.

"Fine...," Lauren said not questioning Esther's demands and slowly placing the flag in the floor of the car.

"Here we are," said Esther as she pulled in to the school, "Meet me here after tryouts at 5:30, ok? I wanna hear the details!"

Nodding our heads Lauren and I got out of the car and started jogging towards the athletic building with Esther screaming, "Wait up you guys!!!" Lauren and I shared a grin and ran even faster to school.

~•~

Stuffing my binder in my locker, I let out a long sigh. Soon, I have athletics and athletics means tryouts. Only the most talented girls get on the team and this year I was going to make it. I knew it. Esther never really wanted to get into ColorGuard but she was popular in her own... ways.

Suddenly a head full of curls nestled in my neck and long arms hugged me from behind. "Hey babe," I said to my boyfriend Bryan. "Hey, I just wanted to know if you were going to go to the party tonight?," he asked me. "Sure, I'll talk to Lauren and Esther about it. I also have to get permission from the parents."