03. Destination: Covina, California [In Progess]

03. DESTINATION: COVINA, CALIFORNIA [IN PROGRESS]

TACOMA, WASHINGTON

1945 HOURS

ROGERS RESIDENCE

My breath caught in my throat as my grip on the phone tightened along with my heart. "Hello?" The voice on the other line repeated, sounding confused and mildly annoyed.

"Dad..." I whispered incredulously in a low voice, one that wouldn't be heard by the man on the phone. To be honest, I hadn't realized how much I missed him, even though he left when I was only eleven. I would get caught in distant memories that I couldn't tell were dreams or reality.

I had always craved a father figure in my life; I wanted to know that at least he would be there to guide me out of the mess I was currently in. I needed someone to tell about Mom. The thought of her made me cringe and I fought to keep my cool.

"Hello? How may I help you?"

Clearing my throat, my free hand groped the drawer until it managed to grip the edge of the counter. "I'm looking for- for my father?" I asked hesitantly. There was silence on the other end.

It lasted only a second.

"I'm sorry, but I think you might have the wrong number, miss."

My heart plummeted and my legs buckled, making me sink to the dusty floor and land on my knees. "You're kidding, right?" I choked out, eyes widening. I couldn't have gone through all of that shit just to be told the man on the other end of the line wasn't my father.

There was a sigh. "Miss, I'm sorry that I'm not the person you wanted to speak to. But I'm afraid you honestly have the wrong number. This is the California State Bank."

"California?" I echoed without thinking.

"Yes, miss."

Why would the junk drawer reveal a number that belonged not to Dad but to a bank down in the state of the rich and famous? I squirmed in my spot, shifting into a more comfortable sitting position as I pondered.

"Uhm... excuse me, Mister—"

"Albert Carroway."

"Albert. Have there been any deposits or transactions in the previous years by a man named Lucas Rogers?"

"I could look it up on our database if you so desire." Albert replied, to which I answered with a noncommittal grunt. As the line proceeded to play bad holding music, I drummed my fingers on my thigh and waited.

"Miss?" His voice returned and I straightened in my seat.

"Yes?"

"I'm afraid there haven't been any transactions created by a Mr. Lucas Rogers." I groaned softly and thumped my head against the side of the desk in frustration. Why was my father such a confusing man? Why couldn't he have been straight to the point and just told me where he was? "Excuse me?"

"Yeah, Al?" I mumbled half-heartedly as I picked at a piece of dirt on my blue jeans.

"Although, it seems that there happens to be a Lucas Rogers listed as a secondary contact for a man named Casper Bond. Perhaps you know him?"

Instantly I jerked to attention, getting onto my feet hastily and running a frantic hand through my hair. I started getting excited, a small nervous smile playing on the contours of my lips. Casper Bond. It couldn't be.

Could it?

"Alright honey, which game do you want to play?"