Chapter 13: An Old Threat

When I'm done throwing up for the second time I wipe my mouth with the sleeve of the jacket and lift my head up, "everything okay?" A voice asks me.

My head turns around and Daryl is standing behind me. I stand up slowly looking around and remember the empty wooded area he brought me to before. My head fills with memories and I remember what brought me here, "how did you know I was here?" I ask afraid.

"I saw you when you tripped" he says back to me suggesting he followed behind me.

"Did they see me? Are they coming?" I frantically ask looking behind him to see if anyone is coming through the trees.

He takes two steps closer, "is everythin okay?" he questions me, "yer actin paranoid"

"Did anyone come with you??" I step closer to him, now we're only a few feet apart.

"Shannon, no one else is here. What is going on?" He puts a hand on my shoulder and keeps it there.

My eyes still search behind him before I bring them to his face. I notice the concern in his eyes and speak, "they aren't good people, they can't stay here! That's not their names, they are lying! Daryl, they can't stay here!"

"Calm down, calm down. What are you talkin' about?" He interrupts my rambling.

I shake my head and ramble more, "those men she just brought into town. They are not good; they are the ones who cut out the biters eyes!" I rant more. He nods his head as I continue to ramble on.

"Okay, okay" he eventually interrupts and his hands are held up, "let's go back and you can tell me what you mean" he tries to gesture for me to walk towards the camp.

"No, I can't go back there. If they see me.." I shake my head and tears well in my eyes.

"Ok. Let's get away from here and you can tell me what you mean somewhere else" he changes the direction he is facing. I nod slowly as he walks past me further away from Alexandria. We walk for about 20 minutes before coming to a shed. It's worn down, covered in vines and littered with debris. I don't have anything but a pocketknife on me so Daryl takes a quick look around the property. After it's cleared he wriggles open the shed door and we quickly clear the location. It's a small space so it only takes a few moments. There's a dusty blanket on the ground in the corner and I pick it up and wrestle it into the air. I place it on the floor again and sit on it, resting against the wall. Daryl finds an old hay bale and brings it over; he places it on the edge of the blanket and takes a seat, "so, what's goin on?" he asks when he's seated comfortably.

"They can't stay Daryl!" my emotions take over and I shout it out. He moves his hands for me to slow down and quiet down and I take a deep breath, "they don't need a place to stay, they are up to something!" I snarl next.

"So you know them?" He asks, "are they from your old camp?" he asks another question.

"No! Please, they can't know I'm here! If they don't leave, I have to!"

Daryl gets off the bale of hay and kneels in front of me, taking my hands, "no one is leaving, hold on. What is goin' on?" our hands rest in his lap.

I breathe in deep again, "you know those nightmares I have?" I pause and he nods in response, "they are responsible for them" I simply explain looking away hoping that's all I need to say for him to trust me.

"Does this have to do with Joey?" He says. The name burning my ears and my eyes jolt to him. He shrugs and lets go of my hands.

"You could say so" I mutter under my breath letting my disdain for him show.

"Shannon, tell me what's going on" Daryl catches on, "you can trust me," his words interrupt mine and he is looking me in the eyes. I hold them for a moment before he averts them away to his own hands.