00.

48. 2,880. 172,800.

_________________

"Let me first start off by saying this: Eddie Thawne was a hero. I want you all to know that. He sacrificed himself to save this city, to save his friends, and to save the love of his life." The older detective paused as his eyes fell upon his silently weeping daughter, the raindrops falling down her face as they mixed with her tears. Nobody could imagine all of the pain and grief she must be going through.

He took a ragged breath as he looked down at the scrap of paper in his hands before he clenched his fist around it, letting the soft clump slip through his finger towards the ground. His eyes tinged with red as he looked towards the gloomy sky peeking beyond his black umbrella. "At first, I admit I may not have liked the guy. Eddie had a big ego and a pretty face, not to mention he was dating my daughter," he chuckled darkly to himself. "But after the particle accelerator exploded and Barry ended up in a coma, Eddie offered to take over my shifts so that I could be at the hospital with my son. That's when I started to see Eddie for who he really was."

"Eddie Thawne was a kind human being. He cared deeply about the things he was passionate about, whether that be his job or those he loved. He had a compassion and a strength that I had never seen in anyone else. All he wanted to do was make a difference in the world." He sighed as his eyes fell back to the ground, his free hand absentmindedly rubbing at his face as he felt stray tears slipping down. "He was my partner. One of the best ones I ever had. He will be missed and loved. May his memory and the spirit of who he was stay with us forever."

The detective stepped back into his place, his arm pulling his daughter into his chest as she began to weep harder. She didn't want to give a speech, at least not now. Instead, she watched the police force give their ceremonial tribute to their fallen comrade, waiting numbly for them to finish so that she and her friends were allowed to the say the words yet spoken.

All that could be heard was the sound of the attendees' footsteps as they retreated amidst the drops of rain falling softly to the ground. The only people left were the ones who knew the truth on how their beloved had perished two days before. Huddled together under a cluster of black umbrellas, the remaining group stood between the two freshly carved headstones.

One by one, each of them was given the chance to express their grief for the loss of their loved one, to mention the laughs they shared with their friend, and to cherish the love they had for both Eddie Thawne and Ronnie Raymond. A total of seven roses had been laid at the base of each headstone after they all had the chance to speak.

They won. They defeated Reverse Flash. The man who wore the face of someone they once were awed to stand in the presence of but was in fact the person they had feared and thought unstoppable for the horrible deeds he committed. They had beat him, but why did they feel like they lost? Their city was in shambles and they lost the lives of two of their friends. Was this what winning was like in the lives they lived?

The brunette's eyes wandered around the group as she watched them slowly begin to trickle away until it was just her and Caitlin left in the rain. To deal with the loss of the love of your life was an unimaginable pain, but to do it twice within such a short time was beyond that. Natalie couldn't fathom what Caitlin must be going through as she watched her cousin trace her fingers over the engraving of Ronnie's name. She wouldn't know what she would do if she ever lost Barry. No words were needed to be spoken as she laid a hand in solace on her cousin's shoulders hoping that her touch could somehow convey her feelings.

Letting out a shaky breath, the newlywed whispered her goodbyes to her husband before allowing Natalie to help her to her feet. "Please don't leave me alone in the house just yet," Caitlin pleaded as the pair began walking to the car where Cisco was waiting to take them home.